Supporter+

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,465
  • Days Won:  165
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Notts have had some famous players, on their books since they were founded. The names are a role of honour of footballing greats.

Some just roll off your tongue like Tommy Lawton, Jackie Sewell, Tony Hateley & Jeff Astle. They were strikers of renoun that played for big clubs as well as Notts. Lawton, Sewell, & Astle played for England too.

But there is another golden great that broke all footballing records for Everton, yes the one & only Dixie Dean that came to Notts & stayed a year for the season 1938/39. 

Dixie played for Notts only 9 times & scored only three goals because injuries limited his appearances.

Dixie played on the hallowed Meadow Lane for just a fleeting time, however, it must have been so awesome to see Dixie in those black and white stripes, even if he was past his best.

Not many supporters outside of the Notts family will be aware that an old Evertonian played a cameo at Notts. But it did happen.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Even at a young age, I was aware of who Dixie Dean was. I had heard stories of him, and it wasn't until I was like 9 or so, that I learned he had played for Notts. My grandfather, Ray, gifted me an intriguing book about Notts County that highlights its former players. It resembled a wiki, filled with intriguing facts and career statistics, but focused solely on Notts County.

I have always loved books like this, but Dean was a true legend of the game.

Another interesting fact: 👇🏻

Spoiler

Also, on this day, In 1959, Notts County’s Bobby Forrest notched his solitary hat-trick for the club, trouncing Gateshead 4-0 at Meadow Lane. Forrest, a £4,500 acquisition from Leeds United earlier that year, enjoyed his most prolific season in 1959/60, netting 19 goals. Five County forwards reached this milestone as the team racked up 102 goals in the Fourth Division. Forrest's three-year tenure at Notts yielded 38 goals in 126 appearances.

• Love 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

Notts County have had many greats over the years. Dixie Dean is no different.

He is a good part of the club’s history. It is great to be associated with such good players.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

he dont look all that happy, intimidating striker? i would not have wanted to defend the ball against him. his record for everton is amazing, but wiki says he only scored 3 goals for us. 😮 

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,465
  • Days Won:  165
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@liampie Dixie only played 9 times for us that season. According to Wiki he was out with injuries. If he had been fully fit I'm sure he would have played a lot more times & scored many goals for us in the Third Division South.

Dean scored 3 goals in Notts's first six matches.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

He was probably past his best when he ended up here, but it was good to have his name connected with the club, even in passing. He sounded like a true hero for Everton. Scoring 377 goals during a career is a huge amount of goals.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

4 hours ago, Robbie said:

@liampie Dixie only played 9 times for us that season. According to Wiki he was out with injuries. If he had been fully fit I'm sure he would have played a lot more times & scored many goals for us in the Third Division South.

Dean scored 3 goals in Notts's first six matches.

it would have been the twlight of his career probably, so just to see us sign him its a good thing. its a shame he had injuries, i can imagine in them days playing on when having a knock made things worse and you could not afford to miss a game.

• Like 1