Thoughts of a new fan

Mitya

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

I'm fairly new to Notts. This is only my second season following them (I initially started with a half-season ticket last season after I'd moved back to Nottm and thought they could do with the support!)

So my thoughts may not be as insightful as those with more football nous, but this being the internet, I thought I'd share them anyway. Several things occur:

1) Why are we so insistent on playing long-ball football? Is it because we acknowledge we don't have the skill to pass our way into their box? If so, why haven't we got more height up front? Lita must be one very bored man. It became depressingly comical last night to watch the guy forced into jumping for header after header that he has no chance of winning. He needs ground service.

2) Why oh why does Derry keep playing Hollis? OK, he dropped him for a game a few weeks back but seriously, academy product or not, he needs to rediscover his passion. He must be nearly deaf from the number of times he has compelled Roy Carroll to bark at him for not doing his job. Drop him, sell him - either's good for me.

3) I would sooner see us go down with a tight-knit squad that played for one another and for the shirt, than scrap survival on the last day with a team full of loan players who will be gone the very next day and whose commitment is highly questionable.

4) With 3 in mind, why do we continue to bring in all and sundry, only to not play them? It can't give a lot of confidence to our own players that we refuse to play them into experience and form, choosing instead to replace them with someone who'll be here for a few weeks.

5) If it were up to me I would keep Jones, Curtis, Carroll, Mullins, Noble (conditional on him sorting his anger issues out), Muzzie and, at a push, Gary Thompson, and the rest for me can move on. This may be unfair to several players who simply haven't had enough match time for me to judge them, but this presumably speaks for itself.

6) This is where I may show my lack of expertise, but why are we so obsessed with the wide game? Often I see us get near their box, only to swing it out wide, and then sometimes bring it back centrally and send it out to the other wing instead. Would it be so bad if we attempted to pass it into the box, someone making a run behind the defenders? It's almost like our cross-and-head-it-in is our one trick in the bag - which would be fine, if it happened with any regularity.

7) Carroll, oh Carroll. He must be wondering what he did in a previous life to deserve his current team. He's far too good for us, and is being totally hung out to dry by the defense in front of him - particularly (and usually) Hollis.

At this rate, I have to say I won't be renewing my season ticket. I'm tired of the endless squad additions, the lack of passion, the calamitous goals. I can take losing (hey, I chose Notts over Forest, right?) but I just don't think the team are keeping to their part of the deal. Consequently, I may withdraw my part, too.

OK, I'm done!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's apart of why people choose to support Notts, it's never plain sailing.

If we didn't have seasons like this we wouldn't find the club interesting and some are in for the long haul, others who are fairly new just need to be bitten by the bug a bit more but we will have better times. I just hope they arrive sooner rather than later!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I've often cursed my dad for taking me to the Lane all those years ago. If I knew then what I know now would I still be a Notts fan?

Probably because regardless of the rubbish we are serving up at the moment, we've served up similar before and I still go so it is a roller-coaster ride with lots of twists and turns.

Unfortunately I fear we are embarking on a big downward dip at the moment!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

At least we're still in League 1. And still mathmatically in League 1 next season. Fat Lady Springs to mind

Perhaps if the New CEO and a Bigger Budget (At least the Trews were honest about an 18th Buget this year)

Another stat in the Book,  is we're close to being in the Black for the First time in Gawd knows how long.

I'd still Pay for a Season ticket if i could. I'd live off Bean & Toast to get a Season ticket. Just for that Glimer of hope that this could be the season.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

@Mitya what would you do other than supporting notts, your post suggests you care enough to see how we can improve. stick around and be part of the community here, i am sure you will dimiss results like myself and just enjoy the hub that is pon.

Thanks for the replies, all.

@liampie - yes, you're probably right. It's just I have to make a financial decision, as we all do, as to whether I can justify a season ticket next season. Football is already expensive, and from where I'm standing £15 is too much for what is on offer.

But yes, this seems a good community and I'll be glad to stick around. I'll try to look in more frequently than every few months as I previously have.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Mitya It's understandable, my lad (8 years old) has informed me he doesn't want a season ticket but I hope to convince him to come still.

I've spoken to many fans in a similar boat to you, in fact I know of a few who just select certain games and attend those but paying £24 for a ticket just seems a lot, especially on the basis that we could be playing better next season. The club should take the risk of getting fans into ML and offer cheaper season tickets, I know the struggle with that but they can focus on revenue inside the ground then.

Let us know what you deserved and I reassure you, nobody here will judge you.

No glory fan comments at least. :)

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

@Mitya it is difficult justifying the cost of a season ticket especially with the entertainment on offer, if you do decide not to buy one then why not leave your options open for attending the odd game now and again. You can support the club without getting a season ticket, things might be better next season whichever division we are in.

My advice is stick with Notts. see what happens close season and what division we are in then make a decision whether or not to go on a match by match basis or get a season ticket but whatever you do don't give up on them even if you don't go at all keep coming on here and stay in touch.

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

I will be buying a Season Ticket 😊

Regards Al

You Pies!

Thanks for the latest replies.

I'll keep my options open. Yes, the option of not buying a season ticket and instead picking and choosing odd games to attend is an option. I may look at that.

I won't take away my support, even if, at present, there's plenty of unfathomable factors going on.

Good community here, though, so I'll definitely stick around :)

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

Thanks for the latest replies.

I'll keep my options open. Yes, the option of not buying a season ticket and instead picking and choosing odd games to attend is an option. I may look at that.

I won't take away my support, even if, at present, there's plenty of unfathomable factors going on.

Good community here, though, so I'll definitely stick around :)

our doors always hope, @notts-joe does a fantastic job for all fans but especially those who cant make the games.

Archived