Colchester United v Swindon Town

medievalmickey

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

This match has just been postponed because Swindon Town have six players called up for international duty. I know I have probably bored you with the Swindon model but I think this shows what is possible with (luck and) good judgement.

Massimo Luongo, bought from Tottenham Hotspur after loan spell, and Yaser Kasim, signed on a free transfer having been released by then non league Luton Town, have been called up by Australia and Iraq respectively and must now be considered regulars.

Four of our current loan players have been called into the England Under 20 squad which must speak volumes for the experience they are gaining whilst playing in League 1.

I know this is in all probability an exceptional situation but it shows that you do not need to rely on a massive budget or too many older, experienced players. Trouble with the latter is the risk of giving a final pay day to well known footballers who are well past their best.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Fair play to you but it would take a lot for us to repeat this. We simply do not give players enough time in my opinion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

A mixed squad is a good thing, ours is built from one end to the other but I am confident we will be better off next season. It's a shame that we've fallen so far, as I don't think some players would view us as an attractive club to play their football at but then again I'd rather have players who do. Fingers crossed we can rebuild and challenge the top teams more closely, perhaps not next season though.

COYP

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

we can only hope to start replicating what other successful teams do and move on, i think we can rest this idea of progressing other peoples youngsters because some fans wont give it a chance.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

What you say is true Liampie.

Our Chairman, Lee Power, is an ex footballer with extensive contacts and a good eye for talent. He has built a strong management team and a good, though not large, young playing squad and playing budget was severely cut

Last year was patchy and fans took some convincing but the model has borne fruit this year. Supporters are now generally happy with things. You must be patient though.

Having said that we have now signed 33 year old Sam Ricketts on loan, from Wolves, for the rest of the season so perhaps you still need the "old head": We have yet to learn how Lee Power sees Sam's role.

I think Mr. Derry panicked into borrowing too many past their best players.

Archived