Match Discussion: Game 26 - The Wombles (H)

Dripsey3

Supporter+

I know I'm supposed to wait for the match thread to appear in the forums, but I can't wait. No doubt a virtual punishment awaits me....I can take it.......:)

We lost 2-1 at Wimbledon back in September. Hayden Hollis gave us the lead but 2 goals in the last 5 minutes meant a deserved victory for the home side. Hayden gave an interview where he said he had a plan to deal with The Beast, but it clearly didn't work as The Beast scored a last minute winner. Not too many can handle The Beast so we'll forgive Hayden....

Wimbledon are 8th in the table, 8 places above Notts. They have 39 points (6 more than Notts). They have scored 38 goals (same as Notts) and conceded 32 goals (12 less than Notts. They are on a 5 game unbeaten run. They have dispatched Cambridge, Exeter and Mansfield in their last 3 games and have looked mighty impressive in doing so. 

Wimbledon have been using a 4-3-3 formation but they abandoned that at half time against Mansfield as they were 1 down at half time. They went to a 4-4-2 formation and dominated the 2nd half. I think they'll go back to 4-4-3 at Meadow Lane as the wide pitch will allow them to get the ball wide and get crosses in or diagonal balls to open Notts up. They are dangerous because they have options. They could go down the long ball route to take advantage of Notts defensively. That worked back in September. 

Wimbledon's main creative force is Tom Elliott. If it is 4-4-3, he'll play on the right side. His ability to pick a pass is something Notts have to be aware of. Their main goalscoring threat is Lyle Taylor. He has 10 goals so far. He's full of confidence at the moment. If Wimbledon go 4-4-2, expect Azeez to start. He's a pacey player and knows where the goal is. He will make an appearance at some stage if he starts on the bench. George Francombe is injured which is good news for Notts. 

Wimbledon are a well drilled side. They are difficult to beat. Playing at Meadow Lane won't faze them. It's up to Notts to make it uncomfortable for them. The Beast destroyed Notts back in September. Hopefully he starts on the bench. It will be interesting to see their line up. If The Beats starts, expect a direct approach. If he doesn't, they'll attack us out wide. It should a fascinating battle. Who'll win? I haven't a clue. It's 50/50. I'll sit on the fence and go for 1-1. 

• Like 6

It's a game on our day I believe we should win, I know that they have done well against similar sides and are consistent - yet I think we have enough to seal all three points.

McLeod will be a miss if he's still injured, I think they would struggle to restrain him.

Hopefully we can pack a punch in midfield because that's where the battle will take place. Wimbledon are a very structured team who are comfortable passing and taking teams on. Fingers crossed our defence stands tall and gets the job done, if we keep them quiet - we should score. COYP

PS. @Dripsey3 I'm please you started this, I'm struggling to get the topic to generate - just teething problems.

• Like 3

A lot depends on team selection and the way we approach the game.  I'm concerned that we'll be a bit too negative and struggle to score, plus we still don't seem to have a settled defence so will do well to keep a clean sheet.  I'm expecting a big change from the Moniz style, and a duller game unfortunately.  I hope I'm wrong, but I can see a 0-1 scoreline.

• Like 2

This will be one of the most interesting team selections of the season so far, I would like to see Noble and McLeod if fit, back in the starting line up, possibly for Bennett and Murray, just to add some more firepower at home.

• Like 1

Game 26 - The Wombles (H)

Team: AFC Wimbledon

Date: 23/01/16

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Jamie Fullarton opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Liam, Izzy  didnt even make it on to the pitch at Crawley. If he is still injured, I would keep Stead and play both Aborah and Valencic

I heard he had been withdrawn due to injury, was it the game before?

8 hours ago, wacky said:

This will be one of the most interesting team selections of the season so far, I would like to see Noble and McLeod if fit, back in the starting line up, possibly for Bennett and Murray, just to add some more firepower at home.

Murray sounds like he has been a key return for us, I am not sure dropping him would be a wise thing to do. Obviously I have not seen him play, I am going on hearsay but fans seem to be crediting him for a lot of change since he returned from injury.

The firepower could be used wisely with him in support.

I say 3-1 to Notts for my score prediction. Isn't it time we gave Loach a chance?

not really fussed how good they may be or think they are etc Pompey came here with a unbeaten away record in all 4 tiers and we beat them.

Newport came here full of confidence unbeaten in 10 we beat them went to Crawley who had won 7out of 8 at home beat them .

So why can't we beat Wimbledon if we play our game then they might struggle we have pace in wide areas and players who have goals in them also McLeod has a ankle problem but could be fit for Saturday.

I still belive we have many players who could get a goal Murray stead valencic speno there beatable just like any other team in this league is 

It all depends on if we play our a game, as Fullarton seems to focus on the tactcics he believes teams will play - which is smart.

Yet I think Wimbledon are one of few sides who can switch their own style of play quite successfully, they also have a squad which understand each other and these are two things which we may struggle with. It's not about how good we are or can be, on the day it will come down to who simply plays better.

I've finally came up with my prediction, I think we'll win 2-1. Half time it may be 1-1, with a goal around 65th minute for us to clinch all three points.

• Like 2

I think so many underestimate Wimbledon.

If Fullarton does it would be a huge mistake, they are a good side. Nothing flash about them but they can get the job done. I am more hoping to see us link up well and create chances which would be hard to stop. On the firepower front we have a good set of options, we just need to make use of them. Get shots on target and we will win quite comfortably.

The win last week was unexpected, with the upheaval and first team changes. With another week gone by for Fullarton to work with the squad I reckon that Notts will definitely have made proper preparation, and that should prevent a poor performance but not sure what the score will be...A home win please COYP. By the way really Wimbledon ought to be my second team, a Great Uncle and his family who I knew quite well back in the 70's, live near their ground and support them.

• Like 2

I think we will be more neutral in our play myself, I watched what Fullarton had to say and it sounded good. He says the basics, along with cliches but he's right with his opinion.

If we do play defensive, we'll end up getting lost.

Noble will be of high importance going forward, I hope he's eager to get on the scoresheet. COYP!

Was planning to abandon my protest and go today, but in the cold light of day (and a sore throat!) I'm going to stick with uncle Colin. Hope we win. Genuinely meant. Even though I disagree totally with the appointment, he's here now and its up to him to work the players as he best sees fit. If that means winning then even better. If it means losing then the question will be asked. What was the point?