• Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

https://experimental361.com/2016/06/22/fixture-difficulty-matrix-league-2/

So we need to begin the season at the top of the table

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

This is just as i thought it would be, we don't really have any particularly tough runs of games, we have tough teams back to back but we don't play someone like Plymouth, Pompey or Luton all at the same time, we start off with an easier run-in and then the fixtures are spread out nicely so even if we lose 1 or 2 we have an easier result the very next game

I've rambled a bit there but the general idea is that as long as we keep things ticking over and picking up points we should do fine

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Fascinating link and read.

It puts into perspective the concern over the starting fixtures, not expressed by me but some of our supporters because the site explains why its actually a good thing. Teams that start well usually continue throughout the season - for me, I hope injuries and games like Mansfield are not used as reasons for why things may not go to plan. I do feel we will start well, just as a priority we must make sure we remain in and around the leading pack.

Northampton for example last season begin the season being written off, I recall reading articles that suggested they would plummet down the table.

Luton started off well but became average, any excuse you could throw in the modern game was used in that case.

For us, it's about creating a winning formula and stopping any potential defeats by drawing - obviously we can't draw too many, otherwise we'll end up relying on winning and knowing us that will only lead to frustration and defeats.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  2

I thought Luton had a worse start than ourselves? Confidence breeds results, good start is a good sign

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

2 in 2 would be a Great start imo . 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

2 hours ago, Melikepie said:

I thought Luton had a worse start than ourselves? Confidence breeds results, good start is a good sign

If my memory recalls right, the first handful of games they didn't do as well but I believe they managed to change that - pushing up towards the play-offs but fell flat on their faces with regards to securing it.

I do recall reading that they had injuries etc, which they believed caused them to sink lower.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

The flaw is that you don't actually know what the difficult matches are before the season starts. Many people expected ourselves, Yeovil and Luton to challenge for automatic promotion last season, yet we were all rubbish. Not many people expected Accrington and Wimbledon to challenge for promotion - they turned out to be much harder fixtures that the difficult matrix let on.

On top of that, odds aren't predictions, they're based on markets. So clubs with big fan bases such as Portsmouth have artificially short odds.

Archived