Match Discussion: Game 9 - Orient (H)

PON_News

Game 9 - Orient (H)

Team: Leyton Orient

Date: 24/09/16

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should John Sheridan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Like Notts, Orient are another side that are playing much better away than at home, so this will be a tough game. As I've said previously the midfield will be key, so I can see 352 being the formation again. I would like to see Jordan Richards gain his first start in the defensive midfield role as he will bring fresh legs to the side and I wonder if Rodman will be dropped as he has not done enough.

Side I would like is:

Loach

Laing, Duffy, Dickinson

Tootle, Richards, O'Connor, Aborah, Milsom

Stead, Forte

Side I expect to see is the same as last Saturday.

• Like 7

We currently sit 2 places behind orient on goal difference, this tells us they are just as inconsistent as we are, i wouldn't change the team too much from the one that played Cheltenham, other than putting loach in goal, moving milsom to left wing back and Richards into centre mid would be a good swap as well as Dicko has been poor so far

• Like 2

Supporter+

Looking at the table, there isn't much between the side. Same number of points, exact same number of wins, losses and draws. We have scored 1 more goal them but we have conceded 4 more goals than them. Like us, Orient seem to prefer playing away from home, 8 points from their 11 points were gained on their travels. Orient won't have any fear coming to the Lane based on their away form. They beat us 1-0 at the Lane last season, I don't see a repeat of that scoreline. I'll go for a 1-1 draw. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Like Notts, Orient are another side that are playing much better away than at home, so this will be a tough game. As I've said previously the midfield will be key, so I can see 352 being the formation again. I would like to see Jordan Richards gain his first start in the defensive midfield role as he will bring fresh legs to the side and I wonder if Rodman will be dropped as he has not done enough.

Side I would like is:

Loach

Laing, Duffy, Dickinson

Tootle, Richards, O'Connor, Aborah, Milsom

Stead, Forte

Side I expect to see is the same as last Saturday.

I do like the look of this potential squad, and I do feel its time to start pushing players like Richards but I don't see any ball winners - this is something we do seem to lack. I know people bang on about creativity, though we have that, we don't have a younger Smith who can influence games with his passing or with how he protects the defence by winning the ball back. Come January, I would hope the club look to resolve this and of course sign up a good Centre Back.

Stead and Forte should grow as a duo and there's plenty of space for the squad to change in game if needed.

We definitely need to press more, if we invite Orient then I think they will break us. If Aborah does play, we need to let him set the tempo and everyone needs to think about supporting whoever stands by their side (or in front).

Orient are a side who can turn on their quality when required and I'm actually nervous.

Entertain me Notts, entertain me!

• Like 2

30 minutes in and Notts are doing much better, but I want to see a bit more in the final third. Orient aren't applying much pressure, yet we are rushing our touches in their box.

Collin needs to keep his focus, his kicking and general movement hasn't been giving much confidence. A better team would have tested him by now, but he's communicating with the defence (you don't usually hear much from him). It seems to be helping the defence, which seems to be more settled themselves.

Would like to see us being more direct and running at them, first goal could easily win this.

4baa64ef895c4db9012651e710830efb.jpg

• Like 1

First half Notts performed much better as a unit, yet they looked awkward defending if the ball made it into our own area.

Going forward you just wanted them to take their time, I have no idea why we insist on walking the ball into the net or why we take shots when there are players in good areas (who could probably do better). It's almost like each player has a timer and that they are running out of time - so they just rush themselves. And it wasn't like Orient was pressuring us, it was all very odd and I always felt if we removed our own limits we would score.

Second half was very entertaining, I went with my youngest daughter and she loved it.

I felt we was calmer in the second half, almost like Sheridan had highlighted what was missing from the first half. The first goal was very important, wasn't it well taken? In fact all three goals were superb.

The second goal was like I was dreaming, yet I did feel nervous and when we had our penalty appeal turned down - I was even more annoyed when Laing was sent off but I was told it was for dissent - I have heard rumours that it was the wrong player but I swear it was him who knocked the player down (not really a foul in my opinion though). Their goal was well taken but nothing really special, I wanted Notts to get a third and was pleased for Collins because he is highlighting his worth. I was wrong to judge him on his existing record!

His finish was very calmly taken, after running with the ball and ignoring shouts - you wondered when he would strike but you always felt he would score.

• Like 3

Second half was everything 90 minutes should be at Meadow Lane.

I think some go on about Collins in the wrong way, there is no doubt he is a decent finisher but a unfinished product. Until his goal I felt he was more out of the game than in it. He's here to get game time but came into as any young player does with time. I felt the team overall gave one of their better performances, would have liked to see a more complete first half but progress.

Nice to have three points shown on the score board along with 3 goals.

• Like 2

@Anti-Red as you hinted, the first half needed improvement. Orient had 2 good chances to score in the first half and I still feel our defence at times is liable to self destruct. The vast improvement in the second half, gives cause for optimism, the emergence of Richards is a real plus. I am slightly concerned that Stanley has been sidelined as at times we do need some craft and Stanley offers the best dead ball delivery.

• Like 1

We played so much better yesterday! The ref did admit that he missed the penalty, Laing's red card wouldn't of happened if he gave the penalty! The lino have the first goal to forte even though it never crossed the line! Poor refereeing but great performance from notts, another great goal from Aaron Collins!

• Like 1

Supporter+

Great win over a decent side. Things are definitely looking up. 

Supporter+
2 hours ago, allardyces tash said:

@Dripsey3 Leyton Orient was very poor, they reminded me of us. Excellent win but we need to focus on improving and consistency.

I hear ya, but to be fair, it isn't a great league this year. Notts are as good as anyone...on paper at least.......I think JS will turn potential into points. Notts won't be far away at the end of the season IMO.