Match Discussion: Game 35 - The Boro (A)

PON_News

Game 35 - The Boro (A)

Team: Stevenage

Date: 04/03/17

Where: Broadhall Way

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Tough game against February's form team with 5 wins from 6 league games. I'm hoping that their manager gets the manager of the month award, thus guaranteeing us the three points!

No O'Connor for the next two games, who was starting to become the player we expected him to be, so will assume that Thompson will come in to add energy and some ball carrying ability, but not authority. The big question is will Nolan bring Duffy back in? Surely not after two clean sheets on the trot!

• Like 2

Stevenage are a more physical side, yet they're nothing to be fear. I was pleased to see we didn't go to Plymouth just to defend, so that same attitude needs to be applied here - yet we need to be wary of how Stevenage like to control games.

I doubt they will give us a lot of time on the ball.

So we will need to make the most of what we can build, I think set pieces will be the key to breaking them down. If I was Nolan, I'd practice a couple of drills - mixing from corners and free kicks, in an effort to see if we can create the time required to get good chances. However, Notts should show no fear!

No prediction but I feel very, very confident. COYP

• Like 1

We need to be more positive about this game, Plymouth are a tougher team and we played the right way. I am convinced we can do well on Saturday, so lets continue to show no fear.

Shame here no prediction as of late we have shown a revival. So you never know I'm gunner ginx it.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Stevenage are the perfect example to show how average this league is. Don't get me wrong, what they have achieved so far is fantastic, but let's not kid ourselves either. Notts are a better side than Stevenage, that I'm certain of, away win for me.

its going to be a coin toss for who will win, knowing our look the recent form will stop here but i do think we should be able to get something. i see a draw tbh, 1-1 or 2-2 something like that. tho im not sure why people are treating stevenage as if they are man utd because they won their last x games.

we have not done that bad recently so why worry?

• Like 1

Hardest test so far under Nolan. I'll be happy with a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we can keep the ball on the ground and play with confidence, we shouldn't worry - if they make us play 'the long ball' and get physical. Well it will go down to testing people's characters.

Stevenage are one of this divisions most average teams.

Go, conquer and claim another impressive performance. Let's out play them, out think 'em and just go for it. COYP!

Erm, what's happening? Are Stevenage really this good, or have we relapsed into idleness?

Well, I think I may have vastly underrated Stevenage but never did I think Notts would fall this far during the game. I'm really curious to learn fans opinions on this, Though I bet a certain minority of chaos driven free-for-alls are happy mind.

Stevenage are the division's form team

26 minutes ago, ivansneck said:

Stevenage are the division's form team

I'm eagerly awaiting both clubs highlights to see just how differently they play this season - I'm going to assume much of this is down to confidence and good team work (rather than ability).

This was the worst performance under Kevin Nolan.

Josh Clackstone was prone to being beaten and he simply made several comical errors, he needed replacing after they scored. He just looked like a fish out of water, there was no positive signs from him. I felt Haydn Hollis did well, you could see that he was trying.

I never felt like Notts would score today but Stevenage's double goals in quick succession sealed our fate.

After that you could tell which players just wanted to go home and who wanted to try and salvage something, yet there was nothing to our performance. At no point did I think or feel we could score. That is just how bad we was today! Its one game so no real concern but it will be interesting to see how they comeback from this.

• Like 3

@upthepies A good summary in that I too agree with your synopsis. Stevenage's manager was very impressive in the way he set up his side. I have always been impressed by Schumacher from his Bury performances against Notts, likewise the ex Orient winger McAnuff. Stevenage's work rate in midfield was something Notts could not match. I still question our fitness levels as never once during the game, did we look like being first to the second ball. Never thought we would miss O'Connor but we did today

Unfortunately I have to question Nolan's judgement. His failure to recognise Clackstone's first half nightmare, did us no favours. We could have been easily 3 down at half time. Tootle was a ready made replacement but it is becoming apparent that he doesn't fit into Nolan's plans. Personally I would recall Wildin from his loan.

• Like 2

Clackstone is a young player who at times does seem to have class but I think if a youngster is struggling - you either get someone experienced to assist them (helps them to step their game up/gives 'em confidence) or you remove them. It might sound harsh, but this seems to have been forgotten. I have seen many fans suggested that he needed replacing, so if you can't drop him, change your tactics or try to move him into a different position whereby someone else may cope better.

That said, I feel Stevenage wasn't special at all from the highlights and somewhat lucky.

Good team play, I take nothing from that but their goals could have easily been prevented. If you watch their game against Orient, you will see just how much luck they have. Though I'm hoping we can see heads lift again for Saturday because the defeat leaves us requiring to push on again, whereas a draw would have taken some pressure off. If our form dips again, it's going to be harder.

• Like 1

Despite our recent form before the game, I think if I'd have been told that (at the start of the week) we would get 3/6 points from two tough away matches - I'd have been pretty happy. Table position only looks a bit disappointing cause none of the results around us went our way. However, 3 points separates us and 17th and our 5 match unbeaten run before that shouldn't be forgot.

It'll be good to see how the boys bounce back from this. We have two home games (Hartlepool & Barnet) that I think we can get maximum points from, whilst two difficult away games (Doncaster & Wycombe) that any result should be seen as a positive.

Personally, I think back to October/November where I watched some of the most negative football I've seen at Meadow Lane for a while - just happy to see some spirit from the lads, been impressed with the addition of Bola and Grant whilst Ameobi has allowed Jon Stead to focus a bit more on being a striker rather than having to run around trying to pick up the team. I know no one is  being negative, just happy to let Nolan try a few things and hopefully build on towards better things next year

• Like 3

Good to see a new name posting, and you're right too @ELL100T. If we carry on picking up points we could make quick progress. But that's a big "if". We can already see how big the win at Orient was, defeat there and we would have been in the relegation zone right now instead of enjoying a five-point cushion.

Stevenage might be ordinary but they are fifth for a reason. They're effective and we've got to be effective too.

• Like 1

Well not great three points dropped. Stevenage are in fifth for a reason. We need to refocus and start the climb out of the danger zone.