Match Discussion: Game 12 - Green Devils (H)

PON_News

Game 12 - Green Devils (H)

Team: Forest Green Rovers

Date: 07/10/17

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Been waiting for this game all season and it's shame that a certain Liam Noble has had a fall out with Cooper, so probably won't be playing. I wouldn't change much in the line up, except by giving Stead a rest by bringing in Shola and also bringing Hawkridge back into the side.

We should be too strong for them and I can see us running out 3-1 winners, I just hope that it will prompt Cooper's departure and I won't be sorry to see him go!

• Like 1

I watched them play Swindon on Sky the other Friday and they looked a very poor side. I'm hoping for a bagful of goals from Notts. 

They have a good midfield which can move the ball around nicely.

Defensively they're quite a poor team, but they could raise to the occasion Saturday. Meadow Lane is a grand venue, one which will encourage their players most likely - as it will show them where they could be playing more often rather than the littler grounds they are used to.

I think Notts will be fine, I'm only concerned about the chances that we create.

We have the quality that will allow to get chances, but I am worried if they park the bus we might not be able to break them down. It should be a good game regardless but watch Liam Noble start!

Potential banana skin ? Not for me as long as we approach the game in the proper way , think the Mansfield game and result will focus the lads minds , we should be to strong for them , hoping for a good performance and 3-0 win , agree with changes suggested by @Fozzy  COYP 

Coming down for the game. Really looking forward to seeing the pies take another step towards League 1 (& hopefully another trip to NYS next season).

• Like 1

Well I did my usual analysis of the opposition team, and I find them to be very depressing to watch. They have the right idea and can attack teams very well, yet their goalkeeper looks awful (watch him play well tomorrow now) and their defence is garbage.

If they strengthened that area up, I think they would be harder to beat.

Just need to play battle ships and sink their defence, once control is given - they really do resemble a non-league team.

Honestly think we'll be fine. They've conceded 26 goals in 11 games. Moniz conceded less in his first 11 games with his forget about defending tactics. Meadow Lane is a fortress as well and we have that siege mentality at home. 

Do they really call themselves the Green Devils? Plastic club.

All bets are off for me. Looking at the table it should be a win, but it remains to be seen how we'll react after the derby loss and the visitors are under no pressure. I think and hope we'll bounce back.

33 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Do they really call themselves the Green Devils? Plastic club.

Aye, they do - https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/

Forest Green Rovers FC
The Green Devils

Every club starts somewhere, I'm not actually in favour of mocking them or taking the Noble/Cooper saga out of them. I love and enjoy the banter, but really it stops there for me. Mark Cooper says the pressure is on us, I disagree - I think FGR have to try to keep some of their recent form. Whereas we just need to focus on good movement and breaking them down, Mansfield holds no barring at Meadow Lane.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Aye, they do - https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/

Forest Green Rovers FC
The Green Devils

Every club starts somewhere, I'm not actually in favour of mocking them or taking the Noble/Cooper saga out of them. I love and enjoy the banter, but really it stops there for me. Mark Cooper says the pressure is on us, I disagree - I think FGR have to try to keep some of their recent form. Whereas we just need to focus on good movement and breaking them down, Mansfield holds no barring at Meadow Lane.

Forest green have always used just 'rovers' or 'The green' as there nick names in the past. When dale vince took over in 2010ish he set about changing there team strip colours, badge and meal options on match days. Team colours changed to iluminous green like on the ecotricity flag.  After this he or his marketing team decided on the very unoriginal green devils as the team nickname. Boris the badger the team mascot (apt for the rural area) was thrown t the sidelines and the green devil mascot has taken its place. Unfortunately all the changes have made forest green more of a marketing tool for the chairmans energy company ecotricty.  I would say a plastic club but with a  130 year history which started from the bottom local leagues

• Like 1

I have to give FGR credit, they played well and looked a capable side.

Their midfield made it very difficult and did well at pressing us back. I was very disappointed with the lack of marking and responsibility in terms of defending. They was there for the taking to be honest (as we seen in the second half) but we just performed badly. Very dire performance, and I felt the referee was very poor.

I agree with @Jonny (welcome to the community by the way!). FGR have been around for more than a century and their horrible green kit has been forced on them recently by their owner. A bit like Cardiff's ill-fated flirtation with red and black. Maybe it was unfair of me to call them plastic, but they do seem to be one man's ego vehicle. A club owner should nurture a club's identity, not replace it.

As for the match, FGR played some nice football and looked a good footballing side, but that doesn't get you far if your defence switches off at crucial moments. A glance at the table suggests this wasn't the first time either. It's a shame we didn't ask more questions of their defence before the 96th minute.

i thought we looked worse than we did during any point of last season.

what was with the passing and defending? every time we looked able to get back level, someone would lose the ball or give it a way poorly. the defending was awful because nobody really did it.

It was a frustrating game against Forest Green.

I was impressed by how good they looked on the ball, very calm and collected within their passing. If anything I am annoyed that Notts looked like the side struggling for form and after the Mansfield game I expected better. I am sure Kevin Nolan will correct the performances but even the basics we failed with yesterday.

1-1 against them is not worth celebrating at all.

We just got everything all wrong, Kevin Nolan has tough decisions to make about a select few players who so far do not warrant a starting position at all.