Match Discussion: Game 23 - The Mariners (A)

PON_News

Game 23 - The Mariners (A)

Team: Grimsby Town

Date: 22/12/18

Where: Blundell Park

Grimsby.png.f3e6972ccecb32d55bbe004f4bf3

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

Grimsby away, I have been told it's a sketchy place to go. I know some of their fans can be quite rough but should make a good away day and a new ground for me to visit.

Main threats I can think of is Wes Thomas and Mitch Rose and their keeper I know is being watched by a few clubs in the higher divisions. 

I think after a win against Tranmere it is possible we can carry that through into this game. Grimsby are on a bit of a roll but do struggle to find consistency within their results. They are scoring for fun at the moment smashing 5 past Tranmere a few weeks ago. I think this match with end in a draw but we have to mindful of maybe resting a few players for the busy Christmas period. Personally I wouldn't risk Stead and play Dennis up top with Hemmings as we'll need the leadership and character of Stead in the big game against Macclesfield.

Formation: 4-4-2

Lineup: Fitz / Hewitt - Turley - Ward - Jones / Thomas - Vaughan - Milsom - Hawkridge / Hemmings - Dennis

Score: 2 - 2 (Hemmings, Vaughan) 

• Like 2

It's a tough game, Grimsby at home are usually quite lethal.

Neal Ardley needs to avoid changes where possible, I'm not sure tactically there are any that I would suggest other than Rob Milsom being switched out. I just felt he offered little against Tranmere and from what I was told he went missing against Mansfield. It's been like that for a few games now, so give someone else a chance. At the back, I wouldn't change Dan Jones simply for the fact we need to see if he can fix the issues from the previous games.

Up top I would go for Kane Hemmings and Jon Stead again.

Switching Stead for Kristian Dennis once he tires. Likewise reserve other subs for players who are either weakening the team or are tired.

• Like 4

I would take a draw, it would be a good result. If Notts win I will think I am dreaming or that Christmas has come early!

• Like 1

Would maybe bring Evina in for Jones. Apart from that I would probably keep the same team. Davies to just sit in midfield and bulldoze people. 

Grimsby are unbeaten in 6 at home so they looked to have found a rhythm at Blundell Park despite struggling their earlier in the campaign

• Like 1

With that i'm about as tactical as saying just have enough strikers and defenders. 

Anyone whos going, make sure they bring 3 points back please.

2 hours ago, ARLukomski said:

Would maybe bring Evina in for Jones

Cedric Evina doesn't cope that well with direct or pacey teams, Dan Jones seems the better fit.

If push came to a shove, I would rather see Rob Milsom or Andy Kellett play there.

5 minutes ago, Countyman said:

Cedric Evina doesn't cope that well with direct or pacey teams, Dan Jones seems the better fit.

If push came to a shove, I would rather see Rob Milsom or Andy Kellett play there.

To be honest we are waiting till January to get a better left back in. Both Jones and Evina aren't that great. I don't think Milsom could do a worse job than both of them

Its going to tough, any game for Notts will be but its anothet must win match. With all due respect a draw right now wouldn't be good enough.

i dont see a win either and i will take the game as it comes, i hope notts plays well.

Maybe too much to ask for a win, but if we play like we did the first halves of Sunderland and Mansfield couple that with last week the dream could come true.

we HAVE to start a winning run soon or we could be in serious trouble. 

• Like 1

• Chris featured this topic
22 hours ago, Truefootballfan said:

Maybe too much to ask for a win, but if we play like we did the first halves of Sunderland and Mansfield couple that with last week the dream could come true.

This is how I feel but if Notts plays well on their day they can beat any team in this league.

Issue we haven't seen the best of the squad but the signs under Neal Ardley are so far good, a positive draw wouldn't be the worst result. I would take it.

• Like 1

Does anyone else have that optimistic match day feeling back?

I feel like Notts aren't guaranteed a loss and it's refreshing, hopefully the unknown can be eventually switched to the hope of winning because this alone for the players would give them confidence. It's going to be a difficult game but team work is key here, defend as a united and attack as a group. Don't limit space, find gaps and make room - chances will naturally come if this happens.

I still feel the game will end 2-2 but I would take that. COYP!

Notts have looked good under Neal Ardley when keeping the ball down, I think knowing where to attack really helps the club and so far I think this has been improved. The only criticism I would give is the lack on touch line management when things are not working.

Today against Grimsby Town this is very important.

Sort of the weaknesses and grow in strength.

Disappointed with the result and the loss but Neal Ardley isn’t a miracle worker he will need a few weeks and maybe January transfers to start making the difference. 

• Like 1

Terrible performance, Notts just can't compete with teams away from home. It was a very disappointing performance that lacked heart and fight.

Nothing more to be said.

Grimsby Town deserved the win and scoreline.

It was a bad game with a worse score... We just have to build on the teams tactics.

4-0 is the worst result, i feel for the support that travelled but people need to remember its a game of confidence.

Woeful performance but the game was finished at 2-0, some of the Notts fans turning on the players don't get the word support but the majority continued to back them. I get it, this season is awful but those in question need to take a strong look at themselves.

• Like 2

I felt frustrated but I don't know why fans left around the 70th minute mark, it seems pointless even to attend.

The goals were absolutely farcical - Fitz getting beaten in the air, the corner where two of their players were left in acres of space to nod in, the fourth when Jamie Turley just stood and watched. Really embarrassing stuff.

I'm not usually inclined towards demanding that the chairman gets his cheque book out, especially as the back four that was good enough to get us in the play-offs is still at the club. But right now it would be a massive risk to just rely on them. We are on course to concede 98 league goals this season. That would be a club record!

If the new manager doesn't get the defence sorted, we will go down.

• Like 1