Match Discussion: Game 5 - Red Dragons (H)

PON_News

Game 5 - Red Dragons (H)

Team: Wrexham

Date: 18/08/19

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

wrexham are another good side in this league, think they will play like newport and attempt to slow down the game where possible. i hope notts start with two strikers, this is key right now. hope dennis is fired up to bag him another goal or two.

It's been ages since I have seen Notts take on Wrexham.

They've sold their allocation which is great, both teams should be fully up for the game. I hope they don't out sing us at Meadow Lane.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can see a bigger attendance as some teams don't have a very big fan base.

Supporter+

Wrexham are one of the best sides in the division. 7 points from 12 so far. Their away record is not great, 1 draw and 1 defeat. Mark Harris is their danger man. 3 goals in 4 games. Bobby Grant is suspended. At least I think he is. Wrexham were going to appeal his red card, but he didn't play last Tuesday so chances are he won't be playing at ML which is a big boost for Notts. 

This is a huge game for Notts. It's a chance to send a statement of intent. Wrexham are missing 2 key players so it's a 2-1 home win for me. 

Edited by Dripsey3
  • Like 1

Some Wrexham fans are giving it 'large' on social media, going on about them being a big club and how Notts is Nottingham Forests B team - very weak banter at best. They're not a sleeping giant, just like us, we have found ourselves exactly where we belong but at least Nottingham isn't Wrexham.

To the game, I just think Notts needs to control it by passing wisely.

Wrexham has a few good players, they're a decent team, but nothing special. Exactly nothing to be afraid of, if they win it will either be down to being better on the day or poor defensive play by Notts.

I am quite confident we could make it two back-to-back wins.

Notts have to go into this game fighting to maintain the form, DDLW so far. A win would given the manager some cushion time from those disgruntled and eager to sake the manager.

Wrexham is a club that belongs in the League really. After Stockport, it sounds like this should be another decent away following. Don't get too used to it...

I don't know much about Wrexham, but they're fancied to have a good shot at promotion this season, so on paper it should be a toughie. But we can go into it with the wind in our sails and hopefully - for the first time this season - a relatively unchanged team. It'll be interesting to see whether Neal Ardley brings back the suspendees or leaves them on the bench, I suspect it'll be the latter. Either way, hopefully we can pick up some points and keep the momentum going.

They appear to be very organised, pretty scrappy side on the ball though.

I think it will be a draw myself.

These are the games that define Notts. real boost if we win but odds on we’ll under perform or throw the game away, we’ve seen it so many times.

i think we’ll lose, purely because a win would settle the fan’s nerves and take the pressure off the manager, but we are Notts and we never make things easy for ourselves. 

Predict score 1 - 2 or 0 - 1 ..........

Wrexham bringing a good amount of support should lift the occasion, if Notts battles and tries to win every ball. I am confident that they can end the game on another victory, I think it will be narrow mind.

It would be good to see Notts absolutely rip a club a part, I think it will happen but Wrexham seem too good for that.

I would agree with everyone else who believes it will be a draw.

I would take 3 points like any other, but I don't think beating Wrexham will be that easy unless 4-6 of our players on at the top of their form.

I think both teams will have chances, one of which will win 2-1 but I am unsure if it will be Notts.

I was expecting us to get beat but slowly we are looking much better. Another winning position conceded though ! We must start consolidating when we go in front. It’s another point !!!

I've got to admit I wasn't impressed by the starting line-up, but it sounded like a good performance. It's encouraging that the team seems to be growing together, but frustrating we couldn't hold onto our lead and take three deserved points. Still, I'd have taken 4 points from this week. Thoughts on the individual performances?

Victories sometimes are lost by focusing too much on playing pretty football, yet it was a decent game - quite exciting in fact.

I left the game feeling like my club is on the verge of finding the right path, let's make it clear - we won't win every game. Notts has never been a side that turns over opposition teams and we are in the National League for a reason.

Wrexham played well, I thought they look good on the counter and played neat passing football.

First half they had a tendency to drop to the floor in an attempt to break up the play or just disrupt it. It's probably the best team performance I have seen for quite a while, attacking wise we played very well. Wrexham caused some issues at the back, so early on in the season, I think those kind of misfortunes are natural. It's something Neal Ardley needs to stomp out over the course of the season.

I absolutely agree with the harshness of benching some of the best performers from the Harrogate win, however, there might be a valid reason such as fitness or slight niggles.

Back to the game, Regan Booty looks a class player. He threw his heart into the first half and I honestly feel he played well. I know some fault him for the goal conceded, yet even experienced players ball up and this is the second time he's played for us.

Wes Thomas looked a threat, when you run with his type of pace, it's difficult to slow down to pick out the perfect pass.

I felt every player tried, even Michael Doyle (although his work rate could be better). The team played as one, they seemed united in moving together and I feel the signs are promising. I think this team could become something special, provided everything continues to work in the right direction.

Supporter+

Notts let this one slip away. Poor finishing cost Notts 3 points. Still it's 2 games unbeaten so we'll take that and move on. 

I felt entertained and the top of the Kop was electric.

First half Notts looked to struggle to create scoring chances, a few good efforts but nothing like the second half. I thought the final 45 minutes Notts looked like a squad that could give a side a thrashing, Wrexham played well but not as good on the ball. I agree the finishing could have been better, yet I am optimistic about the direction.

The football was class.

Good game, Notts played well and looked lively throughout the game. I think if there was some better finishing, Notts could have won comfortably.