Sign in to follow this  
DangerousSausage

Postcard from Germany

We're also underway in Germany now - we've had the first round of the German Cup (DFB Pokal) and the Bundesliga started at the weekend, while the lower divisions have already been in action for a few weeks. Summer football feels strange, but this season feels a bit special to me.

The Bundesliga has long since turned into the dullest division in my opinion. Despite the lack of top-class transfers up to last week's capture of Philip Cotinho, Bayern Munich are the overwhelming favourites to win the league yet again. Only Dortmund have a serious chance of overtaking them. Eintracht Frankfurt just missed out on the Champions League last season, have been hit by the departures of Jovic and Sebastian Haller and Rebic and Gacinovic are also trying to engineer a move away. I doubt they'll trouble the top of the table due to the burden of a Europa League campaign, but they're good for a cup run (see below). Unfortunately the Bundesliga is blighted by a number of plastic clubs no-one really cares about (RB Leipzig, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg) and which are likely to be in or around the European spots again. At least Cologne are back to bring a bit of colour and noise to the league.

Bundesliga 2 - with Hamburg, St. Pauli, Stuttgart, Hanover and Nuremberg, the second division has a number of real heavyweights more used to life at the top level. Will they monopolise the promotion spots or will Holstein Kiel or Heidenheim make a bid? Last year's promotion race was an incredibly tight race, with Paderborn ultimately winning a second successive promotion, so I'm not making any bets here. "Interesting" stadium experiences can be found at Darmstadt, with one stand under construction, Karlsruhe, whose ground currently consists of a pile of rubble and some temporary stands, and SV Wehen, who are likely to be outnumbered by away fans most weeks.

The 3. Liga is the one I'm really into as my favourites SV Waldhof Mannheim have finally won promotion into it after 16 years in "amateur" leagues. The season here is already a month old and Waldhof sit in fifth, unbeaten and with an average crowd in five figures - happy days! For the first time in 19 years, Waldhof have also moved above their rivals, the six-time German champions Kaiserslautern, who could be in for another difficult season. The league also boasts names such as 1860 Munich, Eintracht Braunschweig and European Cup Winners' Cup winners Magdeburg. Almost every opponent is an interesting one, even lesser supported ones such as Bayern Munich II (sigh) and KFC Uerdingen (an obnoxious little club back by a highly wealthy but highly volatile Russian owner who sacked their manager when they were third in the league, then sacked his successor as they slid towards the bottom of the table. Also employers of Kevin Großkreuz).

And of course there was the German Cup the weekend before last. This is seeded so that teams from the third division and below get a higher club at home. The first round passed without any major shocks, with the exception of fourth division side SC Verl's win over Augsburg As a reward for their efforts, they'll play the decidedly unglamorous Kiel in the next round. And Waldhof Mannheim played Eintracht Frankfurt in front of a sell-out crowd of 24,000, who brought their first team and very nearly got knocked out! Below I've shamelessly posted a couple of videos - the first shows the general atmosphere (whoever filmed it must have been standing close to me), the second the goals (plus loads of replays - it was the only one I found that enabled embedding). Enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how Union Berlin do in the Bundesliga. They got off to a bad start. They were beaten 4-0 at home by Leipzig. Their derby against Hertha will be some occasion. 

I'm hoping to catch some games from overseas, I generally don't rate German football because since they won the World Cup - most of their best players have left Germany or are overrated.

Hopefully some of the underdogs can perform well, as these are what I tend to look out for.

4 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Union Berlin do in the Bundesliga. They got off to a bad start. They were beaten 4-0 at home by Leipzig. Their derby against Hertha will be some occasion. 

I had my fingers crossed for them but it was always going to be a baptism of fire. It's good to see an old Eastern team up there again (I don't count RB) and I hope they stay up, but they're definitely underdogs. On the plus side only the bottom two go down automatically, so there's always a chance. 

• Like 1

i dont really watch much football from other countrys, the german league does not really interest me either but i do think their fans really make the atmosphere before and during games. 

What did I get up to this weekend? Only watching Waldhof Mannheim beat promotion favourites MSV Duisburg 4-3 (video here - can't embed it sadly). An absolutely crazy rollercoaster of a match that leaves Waldhof in fourth place (and unfortunately also an injured keeper).

Before the match the Duisburg manager likened Waldhof to a prisoner who's been waiting years for their freedom and is finally out. He's not wrong there. I've got to say I'm really enjoying the third division. The football is very different to watch - the pace of the game is quite slow in the regional leagues, but in the third division it's a lot faster and more physical, quite a bit closer to English football. The standard is about the same as League One too.

BTW, Waldhof made it back after 16 years in the amateur leagues because their fans stood behind them. When Notts are back (hopefully a bit quicker) it'll feel every bit as good :D

Dont watch international football but it is interesting to see how they are doing now and then.

It's shaping up to be an interesting season in the Bundesliga - eight matches in and there are just two points between the top nine(!) teams. Borussia Mönchengladbach currently lead the way. It remains to be seen who will stay the course, but obviously you have to fancy Bayern as they've got the title-winning experience the others lack. David Wagner's Schalke are also in the mix, and play Borussia Dortmund at the week in what's one of Germany's biggest derbies. At the other end of the table, Union Berlin are fourth from bottom and just about keeping their heads above water.

My own team, Waldhof Mannheim, got off to a great start before a combination of injuries and a thin squad started to take its toll. Waldhof got spanked 4-0 at home by Halle last weekend (who went top) and slipped down to ninth. To put it into perspective, though, that's Waldhof's second league defeat in a year. The focus is still on staying clear of the bottom four, which should be possible with a stylish and exciting team, but this league tends to be very tight. The next two games will be difficult though.

All in all the third division is better than I expected. It seems a stronger division than League One, and the crowds are bigger too - 9000 on average, with Waldhof one of seven clubs averaging 10,000-plus. 36,000 turned up at the first derby at Kaiserslautern for 20 years, a report of which you can find below!