Match Discussion: Game 8 - The Glovers (A)

PON_News

Game 8 - The Glovers (A)

Team: Yeovil Town

Date: 31/08/19

Where: Huish Park

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Notts does against Yeovil, I was considering going, but I have to man the fort at home.

Think Yeovil is a bit of Jekyll and Hyde type of team.

They will look to use their pace in areas where they get the ball, yet it wouldn't surprise me if they don't attempt to keep the ball in the air for the most part - they're capable of playing it on the ground but can they compete with us well in this? I don't think so, it's more likely they try to keep the game at a slow pace if allowed.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Yeovil have lost 3 in a row. On form, you would expect Notts to win. The last time Notts won at Yeovil was 2005. We lost both games to them last season, which was one of the reasons why we got relegated. If I were a betting man, I'd stay well away from this game, it's too difficult to call. If I had to make a prediction, I think it will be a 2-2 draw. 

• Like 1

Yeovil conceded in the 95th minute against Dagenham on Monday. Still seems a recurring thing from last season is late goals being conceded. 4 goals conceded from the 80th minute onwards (Stockport, Maidenhead and Dagenham x2) in their first seven games. 

However, our record at Huish Park is woeful and they are one of our bogey teams. 

Also. Dicko. What a guy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Yeovil have lost 3 in a row. On form, you would expect Notts to win. The last time Notts won at Yeovil was 2005. We lost both games to them last season, which was one of the reasons why we got relegated. If I were a betting man, I'd stay well away from this game, it's too difficult to call. If I had to make a prediction, I think it will be a 2-2 draw. 

If I remember right that was Mark Stallard's last goal for Notts and Yeovil won promotion that season. Feels like a long time ago now.

• Like 1

I have this one as a 2-2 draw, I wouldn't underestimate Yeovil.

They usually perform well against Notts.

• Like 1

Teams losing three in a row for me doesn't indicate much, they're sooner than later going to pick up a win or a draw.

I think this game has a draw all over it.

After a 5-1 hammering and a disappointing 2-2 draw, I think we are bound to hit the middle.

• Like 1

I'm expecting a setback, I hope I am wrong but I think confidence is easier to manage at home.

I suppose we'll have to see how the games goes.

• Like 1

I would take a 1-1 draw, or a goalless one provided we had good chances.

I think winning two games in a row might tempt some of the less rational fans to start expecting promotion and then revert to whining when we lose next.

• Love 1

Yeovil tend to be a thorn in Notts side if I recall right, think we've won them a couple of times but I seem to remember them battering us.

I hope Saturday, Notts lift themselves to get another 3 points.

• Like 1

@GrannyPie has tipped notts to win over on the facebook page, so that is good enough for me.

i think notts will be more prepared to play yeovil, previous encounters i think they worked better as a team and had much more pace. i think we have turned the tables, think we will win 3-0. dennis, kelly-evans and booty to score.

• Like 2

i hope notts can grab another win, think we have had the best away support in the national league. it could push notts nicely up the table.

• Like 1

Notts will have to win the midfield battle and work hard to create good chances. Confidence will never high after the 5-1 win but this is a tougher task. I can see Notts winning 1 or 2-0

• Like 1

Confidence and morale will be riding high with not only fans but the squad after the 5-1 win on Monday. For me another performance like the second half from Monday will make me happy. play a first half a bit more tighter at the back Sam needs to be dispensing the ball faster so we don’t conceive the first goal. Start Tyson ,Dennis ,enzio Booty have the pace and speed up front. Booty shooting is improving massively and that’s the key cause we need players to be more active in the loose balls. Right now we are gelling and gelling well

• Like 1

Realistically this will bring us back down to earth. I hope we can make the breakthrough we need now and put a winning run together...... maybe a bit too optimistic at this stage though.

i did have us down to win on Monday but I can’t bring myself to look beyond a draw if we are lucky.

• Like 1

Really got no clue with this one. A team that we've played against for awhile which will also be fighting to go back up, will be a bigger test.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 20:42, BromPie said:

Yeovil tend to be a thorn in Notts side if I recall right, think we've won them a couple of times but I seem to remember them battering us.

I hope Saturday, Notts lift themselves to get another 3 points.

The last Notts game I attended, @BromPie,August last season-Notts 0 - Yeovil 4.Hope Notts get some revenge on Saturday.

On 29/08/2019 at 21:06, liampie said:

@GrannyPie has tipped notts to win over on the facebook page, so that is good enough for me.

i think notts will be more prepared to play yeovil, previous encounters i think they worked better as a team and had much more pace. i think we have turned the tables, think we will win 3-0. dennis, kelly-evans and booty to score.

Good enough for me too @liampieI won't argue with @GrannyPie or you.

The club seems confident with their tweet about not having one for awhile and wanting to build on their undefeated run. That's fighting talk for me!

3-1 Notts.

Dennis, Thomas and Booty to score.

It sounds like a frustrating game, both for the travelling fans and the players.

It didn't sound pretty at all.

My original opening comment about the type of game I expected.

Think Yeovil is a bit of Jekyll and Hyde type of team.

They will look to use their pace in areas where they get the ball, yet it wouldn't surprise me if they don't attempt to keep the ball in the air for the most part - they're capable of playing it on the ground but can they compete with us well in this? I don't think so, it's more likely they try to keep the game at a slow pace if allowed.

Since I am aware of them, I knew we couldn't write them off - some thinking that due to them losing three games back to back means anything (well it tends not to).

From what I heard and can make out, Yeovil moved the ball with some pace.

Charlie Slater and Mark Stallard spoke about Notts is looking 'better' or 'brighter' when they played the ball on the ground. It leads me to think Yeovil knew exactly how to break down the game and I think we sound quite clumsy to have conceded two goals in such way.

I would chalk this one off, as mentioned before, the game by Mark Stallard, all the signings have been brought in by Neal Ardley and they need time to settle.

Disappointed? Yes, but it doesn't take anything away from Yeovil who sound like they did deserve the three points.

If Notts could score or take chances, perhaps the pressure would have been self containing but we all know teams in this league can beat each other. I just want stability more than anything right now, that will take time. The players will brush themselves off and go again.

Supporter+

3-0 flattered the home side. Notts could easily have scored 2 or 3. That's the positive, chances were created. Notts have a real issue with aerial balls into the box. Whether it's set prices or flick ons, the defending is dreadful. Not good in a league where a lot of goals come from set pieces.