Slocombe Injured... Luke Steele Signs

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Another Slocombe injury.

Notts sign 36 year-old Luke Steele.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/luke-steele-signs-200421/

Sorry to be negative again, but what is the point of this? If Pilling isn't good enough, why have him on the books, especially that in the case that Slocombe is injured, we immediately bring in another keeper. Don't get me wrong - I don't think Pilling is up to standard on quite a few areas - but what message does it send to backup keepers? We don't even use them as bench warmers, essentially Doyle is our backup keeper!

I had exactly the same feelings when we brought in the 20 right backs, of whom none contributed in anyway. 

Even if Steele is a revelation it won't change my feelings - if we don't put a keeper on the bench and sign another player the moment our number 1 is out, there is no point of having Luke Pilling. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

pilling is not good enough, hes been poor when covering slocombe but we have to trust the manager to correct this. steele is a decent keeper, plenty of league experience and hopefully he can sort the defence out.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Mixed feelings about that. By all accounts Steele is a really good keeper, and it'll be good to have a (fingers crossed) safe pair of hands at the back at a crucial stage of the season. He could even be an option for next season if he impresses.

But I do feel sorry for Luke Pilling. There's no point in having him if we're just going to sign a replacement as soon as Slocombe is injured. He's a work in progress - just like every other reserve keeper at this level - but how will he ever improve if he doesn't play? And having players in the squad who know they'll never be given a chance must hardly be good for team morale.

Fun fact: Steele recently played up front for Peterborough Northern Star reserves and scored a hat trick. Maybe he's Wootton's replacement? :D

Archived