The Oldest Things In Nottinghamshire

upthepies

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

5674179-large.jpg

The oldest football club

NOTTS County is the oldest football association club in the world, dating back to 1883.

The club started out by playing its own version of the game because it predates the Professional Football Association Board, which was not established until 1886.

Until 1864, the club played in the grounds of Nottingham Castle but, as it began to play against outside opposition, it needed a bigger venue. It settled at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground in 1883 and eventually moved in 1910 to The Meadows, where it still plays today.

The famous black and white striped shirts, which gave the club its nickname, The Magpies, date back to 1890 when the strip changed from amber and black hooped shirts.

Les Bradd, club ambassador and all-time leading goal-scorer, having netted 137 times between 1967 and 1978, said: "It fills us with great pride to be such a big part of history, not just in the world of football but as part of the Nottinghamshire community.

"There have been plenty of ups and downs throughout the club's 151 years but Notts County has certainly left its mark on thousands and thousands of people in the area across numerous generations.

"There have been so many unforgettable moments throughout the club's history, which I have been fortunate to be a part of and I'm sure there will be more to come as the club moves forward."

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The Nottingham Post covering a piece on our history? What have we done to deserve this?

It's a shame there wasn't more detail, it's a little lacking but after clicking the link - I see they mentioned other things, Nottinghamshire still as some very old things around the place. Interesting to see Robin Hood mentioned as the oldest legend, I'm not quite sure about that one.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

A pity they couldn't get the date right!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm surprised you noticed! We have to accept that they'll make obvious mistakes with us, we're simply not as worthy as those who continue to black 'em out.

Talk about being needy!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

what a boring picture to use! the old logo as well, wow... great work by them!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  1

robin hood aint even from nottingham was only because of the sheriff of nottingham we are really linked to him even tho im into all the robin hood stuff.

Archived