Match Discussion: Game 24 - The Tynesiders (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Game 24 - The Tynesiders (H)

Team: Gateshead

Date: 13/12/2022

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

So the frost covers are down with heaters out too so should hopefully go ahead. And with Wrexham v Chesterfield off, that's us potentially points up with another game crossed off.

I Imagine Gateshead would’ve been comfortably mid-table at worst had they kept hold of Langstaff and Scott. Their fans must feel pretty fed-up of hearing one of them has scored again, chances are they’ll get to see one live if they’re coming to the game!

They have had the weekend off so they’ll be fresh, and for that reason I’d expect us to make a couple of changes too. Can’t just expect a win because of their league position, and hopeful they’re more likely to come and have a go than just sit back. I think we’ll be able to exploit them if they do.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

Uninspiring first half, but the goal helped, guess the cold is not helping. Hopefully the second half will be better.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

Injuries a concern, hopefully nothing too serious. Referee was abysmal, but 3 more points and top for Christmas. :)

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

According to the club, the injuries to Langstaff and Chicksen aren't serious and they'll be back in action sooner rather than later. A big relief. Thanks for nothing referee.

As for the game, chances were few and far between in the first half despite dominating the possession, but the goal came just at the right time. Things opened up in the second half, and overall it was a comfortable win.

Our next match is on Tuesday, with Wrexham playing their fixture on Wednesday. That gives us the chance to go seven points clear and pile the pressure on Wrexham. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

At the very start, Notts had a bit of a shaky start at the back.

Gateshead had a perfectly good opportunity which I felt incredibly surprised that their player didn't even hit the target, instead snatching his shot wide across the goal. Seeing that, I thought to myself that we would need to be more careful and hoped that it was a sign of their finishing.

I can't say they impressed me, their defence seemed woeful and clumsy.

They used the pitch quite well, passing and creating space, but it always seemed like they had no clue what else to do - even when the basics was to pull a shot away. The only thing they did well with was being dirty, breaking up the play with needless tripping and putting bodies on certain players.

I thought Nemane played quite well, I just wished his crosses were a little more polished, but he had a few efforts on goal.

Their number 2, Tinkler punching Cameron and getting away with it royally p-d me off.

Notts played quite well despite the groans and moans audible from some, they didn't let the tactics of Gateshead distract them and the patient play led to plenty of chances.

I also thought Bostock looked a quality addition when he came on, although Francis did perfectly fine before. Yes, he did some rash things early on, but I think he's someone who will improve with more time - I also think he misses Doyle's mentoring.

@menzinho One of the groundsman was probing areas for results throughout the build-up to kick off. It didn't look like anything worried him during any pitch inspection, but I did notice him returning to areas and breaking the ground up in some of the spots he probed. Notts has done generally well with this regard for quite a few seasons, so I never tend to worry about the pitch condition.