Three Leopards II

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

My Last Topic about Three Leopards went quite well. So I thought I'd do a Follow Up. Not really about Three Leopards ( who will get a mention) but more about the different Badges worn by English teams in other Sports as well as Football.

After the Three Lions the most used England Badge is that of the Cross of Saint George ( who Nike thought it would be clever to mess about with) This Emblem a Red Cross on a White background also has a interesting and Long History. The Flag of Saint George of course came to the fore front when the Emblem was chosen by the English Crusader Knights when fighting in the Holy Land during the Third Crusade. It is reported (but never proven) That Richard 1 the Lion Heart adopted the Flag and Saint when he fought in the Third Crusade which began in 1190.

Interestingly during the 1966 World Cup the Union Jack was used instead of the Cross of Saint George. And during the Final all the English Fans only waved the Union Jack. A Lot Different to the English Fans Of Today.

Carl Fogarty the English World Superbike Champion claimed that it was he who reintroduced the use of St George's Flag  during his Victories During the World Superbike Series. Another Motor Bike Sport Speedway, the English team has used several Types of English Flags on their Race Jackets. The Cross of St George the Three Lions (in the Leopards/Lions pose) but they were Red Lions on a White Background. And a Single Red Lion (Rampant) on it's hind Legs Facing Forward also on a White Background.

The Third English Emblem used by an English Sports Team is of Course the Red Rose of England has used by the England Rugby Union Team. The Rose also appears on the  Quartered Shield of the British & Irish Lions  International Rugby Team. Along with the Scottish Thistle, The Irish Shamrock and The Prince of Wales Three Feathers. The Shield as a Golden Lion in the walking pose (the same pose as the 3 Lions on the England Football Badge).

Finally the England Cricket Team, like it's Football counterparts also Supports a Badge of Three Lions. The only difference to the Football Badge is a Crown is placed above the Lions and there are No Tudor Roses on the Cricket Badge.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i cant imagine waving the union jack, instead of the st georges flag at games. during rugby where the six nations have played, i have seen it happen during those games but the united kingdom these days seems more divided by rivalry than ever before.

i dont mind wales of scotland. wales seems to have a bigger issue with the english than the scots, i have family up north and i am always treated nicely by people in scotland.

northern ireland always has seemed to be the most easiest to get along with.

• Like 4

@liampie

I have never been to Ireland ( so I can't pass comment on it's people) however Irish people I've known (we had an Irish family living next to us when I was young) always seemed warm and caring. Scots I've always found polite and helpful in my visits to that wonderful scenic country and the Welsh are very much the same. It as been several years since I've been to either Scotland or Wales so things may have changed, I Hope Not.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Outside of football, this is by far one of the best logos. The Rose is a very British symbol.

yL75ffU.jpeg

• Like 3

@Chris

To be honest I Prefer the Red Rose on the White England Rugby Shirt. Interestingly despite England being a Monarchy. It's only the England Cricket team Badge that signifies the Fact. That is the Crown placed above the 3 Lions.  The only other UK Country with a Royal Cypher on it's International  Badge  is Wales. They have a Coronet encircling the Prince of Wales three Ostrich Feathers, on their Rugby Union Shirt. However our Friends from Wrexham have the P.O.W.  Cypher incorporated on their Team Badge.

• Like 3

A quick google into that shows:

By the late 19th century the FA was using a distinctive badge on the shirts of the England men's national team. This was three blue lions on a white field (properly described as Argent three lions passant guardant in pale azure) and was sometimes depicted with a crown above (royally crowned).

Which explains why I recall seeing pictures of the crown on older England shirts.

0xFXch2.png

6a4QNx3.jpeg

Our very own, Tommy Lawton wearing a shirt with the original logo (featuring a crown at the top of the lions).

kS67cxF.jpeg

It's funny what you remember when someone points it out, as I wasn't sure when it was removed from the football team logo. Yet, I do recall seeing it. Personally, I like the simplified look.

• Love 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Yes, England’s logo used to feature a crown, and the shirts were more akin to rugby shirts. A modern logo with the crown arching over ‘England’ and the ‘Three Lions’ would be quite appealing.

• Like 2

As I wasn't around between 1879 -1950, that Badge is New to Me. I'm only familiar with the more current Badges.  I like the idea of a Crown being incorporated back into the England Badge Design. If I have a Scottish Counterpart he must have been Lived with the 2012-2013 England Badge of three Red Lions. Because the Scottish Badge is a Single Red   Lion Rampant (on it's hind legs) looking forward on a Gold Background (depicted as Yellow on the Badge) with a double Red Boarder, and that has been around for many a Year.

Thanks for Up Loading the Pictures @Chris I can now up date my Knowledge. If I only knew how to upload photos to the Site I'd show PON Members what the Real England Badge should look like.

• Like 2

@Wheelbarrow repair man: Where you type your comments, you should see a paper-clip icon. Drag an attachment into it or choose to upload a file.

Once uploaded, you will see a + button to add it to your comment.

(Same for mobiles and handheld devices, it's just a little different)

Alternatively, use https://imgur.com/

Then click the embed options, copy the URL and paste that into the text field followed by enter (it can do it without but might take a bit longer).

mha8FSx.png

• Like 1

Thankyou once again @Chris I'll let my Son have a look  at this, because I haven't Got A Clue about what you've said. I am Totally Ignorant regarding Computer Stuff, but hopefully my Lad will Sort it out.

That I'm afraid is my Answer To Everything Technology wise. Son what's this Mean? 😆

• Like 2