Notts Academy Is There Any Point?

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Once Notts is in League One, it’s crucial to establish a proper reserve team and give it time to develop. This is partly why young professionals often get sent out on loan. A proper development/reserve team also assists first-team players who are on the verge of starting, need match fitness, or are returning from injury. This will provide young players with game time, importantly alongside senior squad members. I understand why we don’t have this in League Two, but it must be initiated once we’re back in League One. It would create a pathway for young talent to get noticed. A league structure is far more rewarding than random games against local teams.

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

We should take pride in our academy. Instead of overhyping young players when they sign their first contract or renew it, they need to be given time in the first team. A few matches won’t determine if they are good enough. They need time to gain confidence and experience where their skills can be utilised. Sending them out on loan is one thing, but I agree that we need them to be able to perform well at our level. The club needs to be fearless and start identifying one or two youngsters who will be guaranteed at least 12 or more appearances over the season. Then gradually try to select them more often. If they don’t make the grade after being given time, I would feel much more confident about the academy serving a solid purpose, rather than being a talent farm for bigger clubs to harvest our players and then proceed to do what we fear.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

As I have said Before a young Player such has Ryley Reynolds and James Sanderson would benefit Greatly by being teamed up with an Experienced Player in the First team  Squad. Both named youngsters are Midfielders so both would benefit  Massively from players such has Dan Crowley and Curtis Edwards being beside them in Training and playing along side them in a Match. Both Academy Players while developing their own style and skills would learn from the Senior players about many things which could or may happen during Match Action and this would help them improve their play much much quicker then being loaned out to a Team, with a Lower Skill Set.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  2

Notts could do numerous things to provide younger players with a better opportunity to become squad members and future first team players. Securing good loan deals is a start, but if they don’t compete against skilled players or get a proper chance in our own team, they will always end up being let go. Coaching can assist players in preparing for and being ready for first team football. Notts needs to nurture talent and strive to help more youngsters reach their potential while at the club.

• Like 4

@DeadlyMacca

You keeping your present Monika then?

You have Valid and Excellent Points. As have other Commentators on here. Coaching players and getting them Ready for First team Football should be the Clubs Top Priority. I t reminds me of a statement a Mate of Mine told me. He's a Big Liverpool Fan and When Jurgen Klopp was in charge at Anfield all the Teams did everything together from the First Team Squad , the Academy and Youth sides. Such as Eating together to learning how to Play the Liverpool Way and the Man always found the Time to cast an Eye over the Young and Up Coming Liverpool Talent. Just Jurgen Klopp being present  and saying a Few words  would Inspired the Kids . and he'd always listen to his Other Coaches, and that is probably Why a Team full of Liverpool Kids beat Chelsea a team which Cost a Billion pounds in last seasons League Cup.

I wonder if something like the Klopp Method could be installed at the Lane?  But then again Jurgen Klopp was the Liverpool Manager and Stuart Maynard  is only a Mere Head Coach. And Interestingly Enough Klopp's successor Arne Slot  will be Liverpool's Head Coach and Not Their Manager.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

At some point, Notts will need to give their promising young players more game time. The risk is relatively low, as mistakes are expected and it’s the only real way to determine if they will ever be good enough.

I’m disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be any solid plans focusing on this aspect of our development. It’s also frustrating to see promising young players being released or sold, but that’s always going to be part of Notts.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@RetroPie

It is True that young players are going to be Sold ,but I I Don't understand why the Club doesn't also want to get some benefit from this Young Talent before they're either Released or Sold On. by being given the opportunity to play in the First team. If they play  a number of Games for the first team, then Notts can ask for a bigger Transfer Fee than a Young Player who is always Loaned out each season.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

You hit the nail on the head there.

Playing their youngsters for a number of matches is going to get them noticed and will put up their value.

There should be a rule of thumb that at least one senior academy player should be one of the seven on the bench.

Reynolds & Sanderson are good enough to be on the bench right now, and if Notts don't get those four players they need to strengthen the squad, those two juniors will be needed for sure.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Either Notts is correct in believing that most of the released players lack the potential to improve or reach a good enough level, or it’s more likely that it would take too long for them to reach the desired level. I don’t foresee much change until we start giving young players more playing time. Two seasons isn’t sufficient to determine if they will reach the required level. Most players are average until they reach 20-21. There are always exceptions of prodigies at any level who somehow make it into the first team, but I think if Notts had such a talent, they would likely be sold before making a debut.

• Like 1