The Much Maligned Magpie.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  17

A few weeks ago I asked the question Lambs to Magpies regarding the Notts Nickname. So I thought I'd have a deeper look into the Bird which Notts County carry as their Nickname. There are of course many stories  rhymes and superstitions about the Magpie. One of the most Famous things regarding the Magpie is the Rhyme.

One for Sorrow, Two for Joy, Three for a Girl, Four for a Boy, Five for Silver, Six for Gold, Seven for a Secret never to be told, Eight's a Wish , Nine's Kiss, Ten is a Bird You Mustn't Miss the Magpie. Along with the Rhyme there are many Superstitions. Such as  if you see a single Magpie, to keep the Sorrow away you simply Spit on the Ground. Another way is to Spit over your Left Shoulder and say Devil I Defy You.  While another way is to nod your head and say Hello Mr Magpie, how's the Missus and kids?

Of course the Magpie is one of the Most Intelligent of the World's Bird species, they can recognize each other and they also morn their Dead. If you ever see a Dead Magpie, keep well away because they can recognize the Human face and will rightly or wrongly associate you as the Killer of their Kin. Farmers who Kill Magpies to keep them away from their crops, cover their Faces when they Hang Dead Magpie Bodies on the fences of their Land. This Gruesome Ritual does work as it does with Crows, the Family of which Magpies are apart of. 

The Magpie is Also a Killer. Smashing other Birds eggs for their yoke and eating their Hatchlings. Interestingly the birds called  Magpies in Australia are Not related to Magpies in the rest of the World. The Magpie's Genus name is Pica Pica. Pica is Old English for Pie. So if you shout come on you Pica's down the Lane you're still right. I May write a part two to this Topic, if this one is Received Well.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Thanks for the interesting lesson.

I remember being told that nursery rhyme when I was a boy. I'm sure girls used to say that nursery rhyme when they were skipping in a long rope. I forgot all about it before you brought it up here.

We have had a few magpies for years right where I live. Before we had our Cyprus tree cut down, wood pigeons used to Nest regularly in it and the magpies killed their young a few times sadly 

Magpies are very bold. They have come quite close to us when we've sat outside in the garden.They are a very attractive bird but they can be vicious.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

We have them in our garden, they're beautiful birds (even when they're dissecting mice on the roof of our shed). I recently found out that "pie" is the older term for magpie (magpie came from maggie-pie, a pet name for them). The pastries were then named after them in honour of mapies' habit of collecting random items.

There's also a brilliant song about them:

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

Interesting information, @Wheelbarrow repair man. I have seen magpies attack each other. They also fight a lot with large crows, which can be unsettling to watch as they both seem to try to kill each other.

• Like 1

Oh they can be Nasty Alright , they fight for dominance which is the same in Most Bird/ Animal Societies. Magpies will Attack Humans particularly should anyone be Foolish Enough to come to close to their Young. You may also find Magpie and Crow Feathers lying around where the Birds have fought and ripped the Feathers from each other, as Both species have thick heavy beaks. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

The think I dislike about magpies (the feathered variety) is that the take the young of other birds from their nests, I know it’s only nature but it still upsets me.

As Do an whole Manner of Birds. Where I Live we have a Sparrowhawk  who is often seen eating it's kill on our and our Neighbours Lawns. That I'm Afraid is Nature. And some Bird Species including the Magpie, when food is Short will Eat Their Own Young!!

• Like 1