Second team? Right decision.

Discuss in less than 2000 words. No, sorry meant 20 words 😅

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,459
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

He didn't play his best 11. The players were a mix of first 11 players and squad players. 

Maynard treated the match as nothing more than a training game to give the squad players game time.

Ok it will go down in the records as a 3:3 draw, but we lost from a winning position.

The second half performance was dreadful and I'm afraid Stuart has to take the blame, for his substitutions in the second half, & leaving his best striker on the bench till very late in the game.

I'm so disappointed after such a brilliant start to the match.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't think the line up was that bad and unfortunately there will be many times that you cannot play your strongest team especially with such a small squad. I wouldn't have gone with Slocombe in goal, but other than, that with quite a few injuries, what can you do, could have perhaps made some changes earlier and it is disappointing, considering the start Notts got off to, but it was a draw against a league 1 team, only decided by penalties.

I don't think Maynard can take all the blame, the players are the guys on the pitch and are professional footballers, but none the less, ultimately a disappointing result and was hoping for better.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t think the issue was the starting lineup. For me, making three changes when under heavy pressure makes it harder for those already in the game, as there’s little time for the newcomers to get up to speed. I wouldn’t single this out, but I think Robbie Cundy had a nightmare of a game.

Yet it’s the League Cup, so there’s not much we can dwell on. Had we been 2-0, coming back to 3-3 would have felt different. We are a League Two team trying to climb this league, so focus on that more than bowing out on penalties.

• Like 4

Supporter+

@Pies79 Forty seven years ago I saw my first Notts match. Notts had 11 players plus 1 substitute. The pitches were terrible especially in winter, the ball was heavy, & the manager played his BEST team every single match, whether league or cup.

Every defeat hurts. I'll get over it in a few days, but for me, Notts should be trying to win every single match by playing the best available team every time. 

But that team he put out tonight wasn't his best available team. Leaving out Bass, Platt, & Jatta was a big mistake.

I say play your best team and give your team and supporters the best chance of winning.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

If the starting lineup had stayed the same, Notts might have won, but either way, it's open to criticism.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,090
  • Days Won:  2

The decision seemed to work in the first half. Our players tried, and I think we have to respect that. However, I do agree with comments I have seen about taking Sam Slocombe off for Alex Bass. Once we went 2-1, some changes to reinforce the defence might have been the better decision.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@NottsTastic

Bass was rested last night. Stone was the Goalkeeping substitute.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

i think we should have played stone and kept bass on the bench. i think @DangerousSausage mentioned in the match discussion that he thought it would be best to keep bass involved as a way to settle him into his new starting role.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@liampie I agree. It is vital that Bass is given as much game time as possible to let him gel with the three new boys in defence. That area is going to be vital for Notts this season.