Three England Managers.

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

With the sad passing of Sven yesterday, looking through social media, I was reminded that Sven, Big Sam & Howard Wilkinson have all been England Managers.

Three England Managers who all happened to be good Club Managers who, during their careers were also associated with Notts, at different times, over the last forty two years.

Not many league clubs can say that they had three Managers who were also Manager of England.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Howard Wilkinson learned the ropes under Jimmy Sirrel's guidance before he became a full manager, right?

I had forgotten he became the caretaker of the England squad, I remember his involvement with the U21s, but Wiki filled in the missing parts. I do remember his tenure at Leeds United, though by 93-96 I don't think he was anywhere near his best. :( 

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  628
  • Days Won:  1

Given where we were in the league under two of those managers, it’s a positive fact.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i knew but it was not something i had thought about until now, i dont know much about howard wilkinson but i do know he used to be a manager. i think he played for notts too? not all that sure without looking him up.

we should be proud to have 3 ex england managers.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  2

This is great for Notts. It would be nice if we could add to it in the near future. I really wish to see a Notts player in the England team in my lifetime. It probably won’t happen, but I can dream.

• Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@liampie Howard Wilkinson spent the vast majority of his playing career with Boston United after a spell with Brighton.

He was successful as a Manager.

He started his career at Notts and became a coach under Jimmy Sirrel, before taking over from Jimmy and keeping Notts in the First Division with a fifteenth place 

He moved to Sheffield Wednesday in 1983 & got them promoted to the first Division at his first attempt & kept them in the top tier for four years with a high of fifth place.

In 1988 he moved to Leeds where he had his biggest success, getting promoted to the first Division, then winning the last Division 1 championship with Leeds in 1991/92 before it became the PL.

He Managed England U 21 & had two spells as England Caretaker Manager.

Wilkinson was good at building teams. 

More on his career here👇

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

I wonder who has had the most? It's interesting to know, something I hadn't considered before.

• Like 1