Jimmy Spencer

Feral Fox

SD has said Jimmy is our new number 9 for next season. About time too. We've needed a quality forward to lead the line and JS looks the business. Good luck Jimmy.

SHAUN Derry revealed Notts County faced competition for Jimmy Spencer's signature but says the forward made the right choice by staying at Meadow Lane.

The Notts boss this week tied the forward to a new two-year deal making him the first of six out of contract players to commit his future to the club.

Spencer (pictured) was superb for the Magpies as they avoided relegation to League Two, scoring five goals after he was signed on a free transfer after his release by Huddersfield in January.

According to Derry, scouts were soon flocking to check the 22-year-old's progress as he helped drive the club out of the relegation zone.

And despite several clubs attempting and failing to persuade him to leave the Magpies, Derry said his striker had made the right decision.

"This club is a great platform to play football, it really is," said Derry.

"And yes one or two clubs showed an interest in Jimmy in close season.

"But with the greatest of respect to them, I think he has made the right choice.

"Of course, I was a little bit worried about somebody taking him off our hands.

"When I looked at the scout list before every game, it was no coincidence that it was the same names and same teams every time.

"I knew who they were watching – it was Jimmy. I'm pleased he has put his faith in us."

Derry confirmed that Spencer would be the club's number nine next season, a shirt that has been vacated by Enoch Showunmi who was released at the end of the season.

And the Notts chief maintains he will have a hugely important role to play next season.

"I've told him that he's my number nine," he said.

"He is the one that I am going to put all my faith in next season."

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-saw-rivals-Spencer/story-21126462-detail/story.html#ixzz32RRvJ2jd
Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-saw-rivals-Spencer/story-21126462-detail/story.html#VPQGzaGFZw6jZQXo.99

Supporter+

I feel a little uneasy about having 2 relatively inexperienced players up front. Can they repeat their heroics from last season or will they suffer a slump? I'm sure SD will bring in cover in case they do go off the boil. We need 4 strikers IMO. 

I don't disagree @Dripsey3. I think we need one more experienced striker who can take over. Now that might be Haynes if we can't get rid of him. I see Haynes as a replacement for Murray if his form dips (imo the more likely of the two to suffer) If Haynes is staying then having Waite on the bench is a good option because surely he has had enough training now to play. If not release the lad!

If Haynes goes then I would look for an older striker 28 onwards that can regularly hold the ball up and play his partner in, not focusing on his goal ratio, more his assist ratio etc...

Archived