Youth team v York City

shepshedpie

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  1

Earlier today Notts Youth entertained York City at Arnold Town's ground.

Notts were three points off second place while York, who Notts defeated in October 7-1, were a point above the bottom place in the table so hopefully three points were there to be won.

Although cold, the game began in beautiful sunshine.

Notts were well on top in the early stages with the visiting keeper pulling off save after save tipping shots over the bar and round the post to keep Notts at bay.  But after 25 minutes they finally broke through when Yohann curled a fabulous shot into the corner of the net from distance to go ahead.

Five minutes later a left foot strike from Blaney from 35 yards into the top corner of the goal increased the 'Pies' lead to 2-0 with a shot that must be in contention for goal of the season.

Right on half-time Larty Sarpong went on an individual run past two or three York defenders before unleashing a shot into the far corner for a 3-0 half-time lead.

In the second half Notts continued to camp in the York half of the pitch and the pressure finally told when Larty Sarpong was brought down inside the penalty area.  Colby Bishop stepped forward to coolly slot the ball home low to the keepers left and just inside the post for a 4-0 lead.

It was 5-0 soon after when a quality cross from the right wing was headed home by Colby Bishop.

On 55 minutes, in a goalmouth scramble, it became 6-0 when centre-back Rhys Myers put away the loose ball with an acrobatic overhead kick.

Ten minutes later Reco Fyfe, back from his loan spell at Grantham and on as a substitute drove a loose ball powerfully into the net to make it 7-0.

More chances came without being taken but this was a superb display by the young 'Pies putting a below par York City side to the sword. 

As well as putting out a team to win the game, Paul Hart and Mick Halsall are clearly looking to next season with two under 16 players and four first year scholars in the starting XI.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Are any of these players good enough to make the 1st team ?We could do with some help.

From the youth team to first team is one enormous leap.

We need a reserve team or development team which plays regularly in a league. All the youth players that are given contracts struggle because they are not getting competitive football on a regular basis. I know we arrange occasional games behind closed doors but it is not enough.

Even parents down at the youth team games are concerned that even if their son is fortunate enough to get a contract there is basically nowhere for them to go except out on loan to a non-league club.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I agree we need a reserve team, we need them to be playing against sides which are of the same silk. I know the club plays games against local sides but the reserve league would also enable us to know which fringe first players are good enough to come into games and I'm just not sure the current way works (apart from being cost effective) - As a serious club looking to bring through talent we should look into it.

Good result for the young pies, it's good to read more are being included and fresh faces are being tried.

Thanks Dave!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I've been saying this for years regarding the reserve team and more importantly, a league to play in. Development squad just doesn't serve its purpose. I realise the financial implications, but long term it's got to be worth it.

Pros complain about bein stuck in reserve team football. At Notts they don't even get that Chance. Regular game time is a must, even if they implement a rule of so many under 23 etc... it's worth it to give the others a chance to perform away from training. Nicky Wroe anyone?

They do by playing local sides but I have no idea how often. Fabs said to me one time that its hard for him to contend with Carroll because he doesn't get enough game time.

Just picture fringe pro's playing along side 1st and 2nd year pro's. Inside a league structure!

The youth team benefit, it might allow us to fast track some and push them more towards the first team. I really do think it makes sense, it would be interesting to know of which teams don't have a full setup.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Hey Shep, which players from the current setup do you rate? Do you think many will be offered pro deals?

Thanks for posting this.

AP

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Does the Central League still exist....

Surely we can afford it. Mansfield Reserves are in the Final Third Development League East Division - which contains nearly all the teams that we play against at youth level - I.e. Scunny, Rotherham, Hull, Burton Albion, Hartlepool, Doncaster etc.

Surely if these teams can afford it...

Hey Shep, which players from the current setup do you rate? Do you think many will be offered pro deals?

Thanks for posting this.

AP

Last season they finished fourth - this season they could improve upon that with a bit of luck.

Each season they hand out two or three contracts so I think it will be more about feeling disappointed for some of the lads that don't get one.

Would love to see the following 2nd year scholars get contracts:

Tom Rigby (right back)

Rhys Myers (centre-back)

Jordan Richards (midfield and son of Pie legend pedro)

Bearing in mind they have already got Colby under contract I guess another four is probably too many - unless we get that reserve team up and running next season!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

Last season they finished fourth - this season they could improve upon that with a bit of luck.

Each season they hand out two or three contracts so I think it will be more about feeling disappointed for some of the lads that don't get one.

Would love to see the following 2nd year scholars get contracts:

Tom Rigby (right back)

Rhys Myers (centre-back)

Jordan Richards (midfield and son of Pie legend pedro)

Bearing in mind they have already got Colby under contract I guess another four is probably too many - unless we get that reserve team up and running next season!

i thought jordan was still practising his trade at hartlepool, good player. i know one of his cousins.

Hi Liam,

Not heard the Hartlepool connection before.

This is from the pen pics on our official site of the youth team LAST season (2013/14):

JORDAN RICHARDS - Defender (First Year)

Son of Notts County legend Pedro Richards, who played for the Magpies between 1974 and 1986.

Also a right-back, Richards possesses lightening pace and is also comfortable out wide.

I have watched him play for the youth team last season and he is almost 'ever-present' this season dominating in midfield - so not sure where the Hartlepool connection comes from.

Cheers

I think @liampie has the wrong player, Hartlepool have a youngster by that name or at least did. I think he's from Sunderland though.

Sounds like he's a similar player to his father, which is something the modern game misses. At least it does within our league, it would be nice to see him make the grade at Notts. All youngsters need is game time and coaching, even more so once signing as a pro, you need to nurture them. :)

Archived