Chris

2016 Mitre Goal of the Year: The shortlist  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which goal gets your vote?

• Jon Stead v Plymouth - 16/08/16
    • Aaron Collins v Leyton Orient - 24/09/16
    • Adam Campbell v Portsmouth - 22/10/16
    • Michael O'Connor v Barnet - 26/11/16

The first two goals was very similar (Jon Stead and Collins).

Very difficult to decide between the two, however Jon's is probably the more technically gifted because Collins just blitz through due to his pace and has very little to do other than to slot the shot into the back of the net.

Adam Campbell's goal was very good but just a pop at goal, the build up doesn't contribute towards it and it's just one of them out of the blue goals.

For me, Michael O'Connor's goal is the best. That would get a lot of credit if it happened if the Premier League or Championship. Very well taken goal.

As was mentioned above, the similarity between the first two goals is uncanny.  Both come out of nothing, and the skill to firstly create the opportunity and then apply the clinical finish is exceptional.  Adam Campbell's curling finish is superb, but his first touch is so poor it wrong foots the entire defence!  O'Connor's effort is a cracking goal if he meant it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was meant as a cross.  In summary, Stead just shades it from Collins for me.

Archived