Asda And Tesco Withdrawn Halloween Costume

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Asda and Tesco withdraw 'psycho' patient outfits

Asda offered its "sincere apologies" for the offence it caused

Supermarket chains Tesco and Asda have withdrawn Halloween outfits from sale after widespread criticism.

Asda's "mental patient fancy dress costume" is no longer available while Tesco followed suit by removing its "psycho ward" offering.

Following criticism, including from one "stunned" mental health charity, both stores have apologised.

Asda said it would be making a "very sizeable donation" to mental health charity Mind as a result.

The £20 Asda outfit included clothing, fake blood, a mask and a fake meat cleaver while Tesco's orange boiler suit offered to "complete the look" with a machete.

A Tesco spokesperson said: "We're really sorry for any offence this has caused and we are removing this product from sale."

In a statement on Wednesday evening, Asda, which is owned by US retail giant Walmart, said the sale had been a "completely unacceptable error".
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

Katie Dalton Mental health charity Gofal

"[The costume] should never have been sold and it was withdrawn as soon as it was brought to our attention."

Asda added: "We're deeply sorry one of our fancy dress costumes has upset people."

It is understood the costume had been on sale through Asda's clothing outlet George for two days, before being withdrawn from sale on Wednesday morning following a complaint from a customer.

Asda said the product had been removed from the website in the afternoon but the relevant page remained visible for a few hours.

It disappeared after the criticism on Twitter started to emerge.

Former Downing Street director of communications Alastair Campbell, who has written about his experiences with mental health issues, branded their sale by established companies as "unacceptable".

Speaking to BBC London, he said: "We are trying to change attitudes towards mental illness so people do not stigmatise it and something like this comes along and it just reminds you we are basically still in the dark ages.

"We are still in the dark ages if some of the biggest companies in this country, Tesco, Asda and Amazon think that it's acceptable to sell something like this."

"It's unacceptable on every level," he added.

Elsewhere, Katie Dalton, of Welsh mental health charity Gofal, wrote on Twitter: "Dear @asda, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that this is an appropriate fancy dress costume? Disgraceful."

Former footballer Stan Collymore, who has had a well-documented battle with depression, also criticised Asda for using a "stereotype".

"Do you actually realise how many people are hanging themselves because of being frightened of the stigma?" he tweeted.

The charity Rethink Mental Illness also took to Twitter to say it was "stunned" by the costume's description, but later thanked Asda "for responding" to the "concerns".
'Terrifying Halloween option'

Sue Baker from Mind told BBC Radio 5 live that the worst thing about the costume was it reinforced outdated stigmas about people with mental health illness.

"Some of the worst myths that fuel this stigma is the assumption that we're going to be dangerous, knife-wielding maniacs and that is simply not the case."

She added: "The stigma can be life limiting and life threatening because people don't think they can talk to anybody and sadly for some people they take the option of not being with us anymore."

The internet link to the website page where the costume was being sold used the words "zombie fancy dress costume".

But the product was titled "mental patient fancy dress costume" on the page itself.

The product details read: "Everyone will be running away from you in fear in this mental patient fancy dress costume.... it's a terrifying Halloween option."

Ms Baker had called for retail giants Tesco and Amazon to withdraw from their websites a Halloween outfit of an orange boiler suit with "Psycho Ward" written across the front and back, along with a "committed" stamp below. It also has a plastic low jaw restraint.

I'm not offended and I think it's rather silly, if it was called "zombie" it would have been accepted without problem. A zombie originally referred to someone who was highly dosed on medication, commonly within a metal institution. It's just with George Romero using it for his first feature movie(s) it's become acceptable, such as the word "gay" used to mean happy until people changed it.

Personally I just don't see how it would offend anyone.

It's not like it's branding anyone, it's meant as fun and perhaps a different name might have been better but why kick a fuss over it.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

Halloween is an uneccessary US import.

All Hallows Eve is a pagan festival and nothing to do with children (or adults) dressing up as nasties, knocking on doors and expecting gifts under threat of causing damage.

I expect that if I put on a vampire mask and scared the wits out of a young child knocking on my door I would be arrested and charged with the Devil knows what.

I, like you Joe, am not offended but I can see how many would be. Perhaps some do not see it as a bit of fun.

Halloween is great, it's nice for children and actually fun.

The people who complain about this are probably the same people who turn their backs on a disabled person being verbally or physically assaulted, it's just that the media attract these people who jump on and ruin things. If someone with a mental illness is offended by it, then fair enough but I strongly question if it's a case of people just being overly PC.

There's adverts which are worse on tv and so one, there's also a comedy prank show on Channel 4 but these people are disabled. I think it's great that they can do it but I don't think that's right.

It's the world we live in!

Sorry Joe but I can't agree with your view on Halloween. It may be fun for some children and their parents but I see a child holding a carrier bag begging for sweets.

It could be a generation thing I guess.

Although I agree, some children do beg and see it as a way of gaining - Others do not.

I used to hate Halloween, I'd dress up as child but for me it was a family thing. The children near where my parents lived was unruly and the type most people would have wished old fashioned parents was still around to put in hand. The values of it go beyond that for me though - I spend one Halloween at Granny Pie's and Super Rams, they gave the kids sweets and we went back home.

On the way back, two children started waving and encouraging us to go knock on their door.

The parents of the children made a big fuss of Jake and Ellie, it felt special because most people around here are what I call "close doors". Basically not many friendly people due to children, idiots and other reasons.

From that point on we've gone trick or treating, Jake and Ellie say please and thank you. They certainly don't beg, they're happy regardless because it's a fun night for them. I still love feeling like a child! I haven't really grown up to be honest but it's so much more than spoiled children wanting thing's their parents won't given them.

It's probably a generation thing. :)

Ps. One year this elderly couple had Halloween items outside in their garden and in their windows, now we only approach people who seem to celebrate it. Yet when we knocked on the door, these cruel and disturbed people started shouting bible quotes, telling our children they was going to hell. I don't see why people have to be like this? Yet I'm content to live by the rule of if it's fun and doesn't harm anyone, then it's really not a problem (obviously it depends what it is).

Fair points Joe and I will never condone the behaviour noted in your PS.

I will, in future, stick to football. Our midfielder Yaser Kasim ( a Luton reject!) has be called up to the Iraq squad.

Best wishes to all your family.

Fair points Joe and I will never condone the behaviour noted in your PS.

I will, in future, stick to football. Our midfielder Yaser Kasim ( a Luton reject!) has be called up to the Iraq squad.

Best wishes to all your family.

Hehe... We have our own Luton reject. ;)

Good Luck to your Iraq international and of course yourself.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

If kids are respectful and don't 'push' there's no harm.It's a bit like carol singing,some kids just see it as a way of conning money.I think if it's not supervised it could be dangerous for kids who just see it as a fun night.

Bonfire night used to be hell when you went shopping, even tho I would have beem 5-10.. That's the definition of con!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I can see both sides of the argument re Halloween, I think that Mickey may be of my sort of age, we never had Halloween as children, trick or treat is an American import which I personally dislike but having said that I know if done responsibily it can give children a lot of pleasure. My own grandchildren enjoy it immensely and can't wait for it to arrive, they used to go trick or treating with their Mum and Dad when he was alive but never on their own.

The problem I've got with it is when the older children/teenagers get involved, I once had two what looked like about 17 year old youths turn up on my doorstep well before Halloween night itself, they knocked on the door and held their hand out and said in a gruff voice "trick or treat mate!", I gave them short shrift and said they were far too old to be doing that sort of thing and anyway it wasn't Halloween yet, they went away without causing any trouble but I just thought that if they had knocked on an old persons house and done that it would have been very intimidating, I don't suppose they would have been happy with sweets. I know some old people hate Halloween and sit behind closed doors with lights off because they feel intimidated.

Joe's idea of going to houses with lanterns outside or whatever, people who actually look as if they may welcome trick or treaters, is the best one, that way the children can have a fun night without causing any problems.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Bonfire night used to be hell when you went shopping, even tho I would have beem 5-10.. That's the definition of con!

Ahh, Bonfire night, now that is another subject altogether. Guy Fawkes night is definitely home grown and not imported from the States. I remember as a lad living on Meadow Lane, in the days running up to Bonfire night we used to make a Guy out of old clothes stuffed with paper and put it on our home made wooden trolley and on match days/nights we used to stand outside the Notts ground asking the fans for a penny for the guy. If Notts won and the fans came out happy we used to make a fortune if they lost we didn't do so well.

Happy days. I haven't seen any kids asking for a penny for the guy for ages and ages. I bet @super_ram can remember doing it.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

Yes ,when I was about 10 we dressed one of my mates younger brothers up in old raggy clothes and stuffed straw and paper up his sleeves and  trouser legs and finished  the  'guy' off with a mask.We took him to our chosen site near Alfreton bus station on an old pram chassis and placed him  on the pavement sitting against a wall.It was really funny witnessing the reaction of passers by when the guy suddenly moved and spoke.It startled quite a few people but gave them a laugh AND we made quite a bit of money.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Personally i don't find those costumes offensive, but everyones different. As people have said... halloweens not abit of fun to everyone.

I like halloween and bonfire night, but there is bad sides to both things. I have always gone trick or treating as a kid and found it fun, we have carried it on with our children.. but obviously to the houses that look like they are taking part in it. Bonfire night is fun, but can get quite annoying/dangerous when teenagers are setting them off around the streets from when they start to go on sale.

Archived