Derby County

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I see Derby had a good away win today, that should make our Mr. Ram a happy chappy.

I know it's early days but what's your assessment of McClaren's tenure so far @super_ram?

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I said I would leave till Christmas before commenting but ,as you've asked,I will give my twopennyworth here.

Well the results so far are a draw and win at home and a win away today at(at the time)4th placed Watford.The outstanding game being the come back from 4-1 down against Ipswich to get a draw.

Would it have been any different if Nigel Clough was still managing?My honest answer is probably yes.The Leeds game would have been the same I think.The Ipswich game is difficult to assess being the first game after the surprise sacking but Derby were awful in the first half but still scored. a goal.Believe it or not I said to Granny at half time that The Rams could pull it back if they started playing and they did.I always feel that Derby will score the problem is the defense

I wasn't surprised when we scored first today,nor was I surprised when Watford equalised.!-1 became 2-1 and then 2-2 and eventually 2-3.

So what does Steve McClaren do differently?The thing that I've noticed so far is the timing of substitutions.N.C.tended to leave it too long IMO and to me didn't always make the right decisions,though I understood his reasoning.

As you say,Tony ,it's early days yet but Mr McClaren is slowly winning me round.I can't argue with his team selections,tactics or timing and use of substitutes. He needs to sort out the defense(a problem we share) and get them playing as a unit.This was probably NC's downfall as well as being a bit predictable.

Yes ,all in all I am a happy chappy(Alfreton won away too,just wish Notts could get some more points) but I still think the Nigel sacking could have been handled better. :thumbsup:

Supporter+

Nice to hear you thoughts, I spent the last couple few days in the company of a Rams fan, a bit like yourself he doesn't get down to the matches much but takes a great interest in them and he was very sceptical about McClaren and was gobsmacked when they sacked NC but I guess if things carry on they way they are he will win all the doubters over, there is nothing more likely to win fans round than a winning team.

I remember when Lee Hughes came to Notts a lot of fans were horrified that we were signing him because of his past but when he started banging in goals they soon changed their tune. Fans are so fickle.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Derby deserved to beat Watford. The pace of their attack is frightening. They turn defence into attack so quickly. The winner on Saturday was a turn over and a few passes later, it was a goal. Fantastic stuff.

I just wish the defense could be sorted out Dripsey then I would seriously be looking forward to promotion.

Supporter+

Hang on a minute, I've had a brilliant idea.

Them across the river (whose name I do not mention) reckon they have problems in attack and scoring goals, Derby have problems in defence, the solution is staring us in the face, the two clubs should amalgamate.

For the club colours you could take the white from Fword and the black from Derby and play in black and white.

Now then what about a name..........I know, take the Derby from "Derby County" and because Fword actually play in the Nottinghamshire county we could use the "county" and call the new club Derby County.

They would have to play at Pride Park obviously because there are already two football grounds in Nottingham.

So with the two sides becoming one that would leave an extra place in the Championship up for grabs and because it was my idea I vote they give it Notts.

Problem solved. :magnificent:

When I started reading your post, Tony,,regarding amalgamation I almost exploded with rage but I continued reading and now consider you in a completely different light.Not only do you bin the rubbish but Notts get automatic promotion.Brilliant. :devil:

Supporter+

Birmingham at home next isn't it? Now there's a team with problems at the back. Reckon this could end up 6-3 to the Rams!

Supporter+

When I started reading your post, Tony,,regarding amalgamation I almost exploded with rage but I continued reading and now consider you in a completely different light.Not only do you bin the rubbish but Notts get automatic promotion.Brilliant. :devil:

I'm glad you didn't explode with rage, GrannyPie would have had a right mess to clear up. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

I'd have made you clear any mess up,Tony.Super does not like that unmentionable team at all and the idea of amalgamation with them.....well you can imagine!

Supporter+

I'd have made you clear any mess up,Tony.Super does not like that unmentionable team at all and the idea of amalgamation with them.....well you can imagine!

I has been mooted for the Nottingham clubs to amalgamate on several occasions and it was met by a similar response from me so I know how Super would feel at my (tongue in cheek) suggestion.

When I was much younger I remember my Bradford relatives being annoyed at the proposal for  Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue(then a league side) to  amalgamate and become Bradford Metro.It made sense in the early days of   football when towns such as Burton,Derby  etc had  several strong sides all vying for support and local talent.That's why there are so many teams called 'united'.After more than one hundred years  of football families have now developed strong feelings for the team they support and also there's the rivalry to consider.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

He knows you by now Tony and you did make him laugh in the end..Let's all stick to supporting County......Notts and Derby. :group hug:

Supporter+

Let's all stick to supporting County......Notts and Derby. :group hug:

Now there's a thought, how about Notts and Derby United? Oops, here I go again. :rolleyes:

2 founder members of the Football League with a mutual dislike of a certain team!

• 1 month later...

Super_ram is a happy chappy .In a play off position(replacing a certain team) Just wish Notts would add to my upbeat mood.Come on SD sort them out and I can really start celebrating the festive season(It is December now Tony and any excuse will do) :thumbsup:

Supporter+

I couldn't be more pleased for you and Derby. It will be doubly galling for our "friends" across the river to be replaced in the play off zone by their bitter rivals. Up the Rams.

I am pleased your fears about the McClaren appointment appear to be unfounded.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Tony, I have to take exception with your use of the word friends. I do not have any friends that support them lot, event he family that support them have either passed on, or have been intentionally disowned.

One day I hope to win the Euro Mills, (hopefully just after I start buying tickets). When I do, I am going to offer Fawaz a new American style fridge for them.

The players will all be sold of, staff contracts payed up. The ground demolished. And some swanky new riverside apartments built.

Just so people don't think I have gone too far, I will plant a few trees around the place.

Supporter+

I did put inverted commas around the word. :rolleyes:

Can I volunteer to drive the bulldozer? I don't know about swanky riverside apartments I think a donkey sanctuary would be a fitting tribute to remind us what used to occupy the site. :lol:

Or Sewage farm.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Hmmm, you have got me thinking...

Can I have a small Apartment block, as I do like the idea of a monorail straight over and into the back of the DP. And tbh it doesn't have the same ring from a sewage farm.

The sewage farm could be on their training pitches by Lady Bay. Donkey Sanctuary, I am not so sure, I like Donkeys and wouldn't want them being linked with that shower.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm even more happier with Derbies U21's, sorry Super... They lost to Sheffield United U21's 2-0.. :D

Supporter+

Michael Keane is a decent loan signing from Manchester Utd. He's highly rated. Will he break into the team? Ye have been playing very well so I'd imagine it will be difficult for him?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Michael Keane is a decent loan signing from Manchester Utd. He's highly rated. Will he break into the team? Ye have been playing very well so I'd imagine it will be difficult for him?

I read an article about him wanting to use his time at Derby to boost his chances to make it into the United first team. I listened to the game the other day, the commentator said they were playing like Arsenal with the exception they wasted clear chances. He said they could have scored 5 or more goals, so I'd suspect that Derby need someone with a calmer attitude/composure.

@super_ram can correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe one of their forwards scored against them. (Can't really count a penalty, it's 50/50 really)

I'm even more happier with Derbies U21's, sorry Super... They lost to Sheffield United U21's 2-0.. :D

Not too bothered about the result but am glad to see players getting back to full fitness after long injury layoffs.

Archived