My Typical Thursday

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm nearing the end of my 'Typical Thursday's', which include walking to the City Hospital to do my physio. If you had asked me two months ago, I would have said I would be glad by this point however, last month I was ill for the majority and I missed several sessions. In this process my Knee's become weaker to the point it swells up, then I'm in intense pain and during my last assessment my physio was able to move my knee cap with minimal effort from two fingers.

I don't think this cold weather is helping, as this increases the pain.

After today, I have one more assessment and I was told in my last one it's likely to be my last. This leaves me having to consider allowing a doctor to perform one of two operations suggested to me, all in order to obtain more physio!

I'm going to make the most of this session - I'm not giving up.

How do you typically spend Thursday's?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We look after our youngest grandchildren on Monday Tuesday Wednesday so Thursday is sort of the start of our weekend, however I normally spend it catching up on my website work. Today I have been busy setting up an affiliate for motorhome insurance, our members get a discount when they mention our website and in return we get a small commission from the insurance company, it helps pay our hosting fees etc.

I have also been busy updating campsite reviews that members send in, I have just about finished so I am going on the exercise bike for half an hour or so and then on the Wii sport, I am trying to lose some weight before the Christmas binge.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your knee Joe, it must be so frustrating for you, here's hoping they can sort something out for you.

It's a good job Wii's wasn't banned! The amount of people who use them to lose weight, it's really a fun console. We have the Playstation Move, how it becomes more addictive when you get more control over the movement etc.

Sounds like a busy Thursday for you Tony!

Keep it up though! :)

PS. Yes, as I noticed the improvements from physio and I'm frustrated that it seems to count for nothing now. I won't go on because this isn't the place but some people who go don't even have sessions and get away with it!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Joe,

I seriously hurt my knee when I was only 13 so i can sort of understand the pain your in, what advice have you been given re keeping the swelling down??

Joe,

I seriously hurt my knee when I was only 13 so i can sort of understand the pain your in, what advice have you been given re keeping the swelling down??

General advice really, such as using ice packs if it's really bad - having baths (if my joint/knee hurts). I've been pretty much unmediated though, last week I had enough of the pain and decided to beg a doctor into giving me something (luckily I didn't have to beg). I've been given some pain relief gel - this reduces the swelling quite well.

----------------------------

Quite chuffed with today, it's my second full session as previously I had to quit due to the pain. I have an assessment next Thursday, I'm hopeful they'll give me more time.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Thursday's usually consist of College in the morning for me. I finish at 12:15 and then have work in the afternoon from 3:30 till 7:30 so I go home, have something to eat and have a sit  down before heading off. Today is the deadline for contributers to send their various articles to Weymouth's programme editor so he can fit them together, so sometimes it can be a bit hectic rushing to get that done. The piece I do involves asking a fan from each team questions, and they sometimes take an age to reply. Thankfully this week's was sorted by Tuesday!

Hope your knee gets better soon mate, it must be frustrating. My Grandad has trouble with his knee, he had to have a minor op on it where tey removed  bits of lose bone that were scraping against the knee cap, or something like that. I'm sure he could sympathise with you a bit

Thursday's usually consist of College in the morning for me. I finish at 12:15 and then have work in the afternoon from 3:30 till 7:30 so I go home, have something to eat and have a sit  down before heading off. Today is the deadline for contributers to send their various articles to Weymouth's programme editor so he can fit them together, so sometimes it can be a bit hectic rushing to get that done. The piece I do involves asking a fan from each team questions, and they sometimes take an age to reply. Thankfully this week's was sorted by Tuesday!

Hope your knee gets better soon mate, it must be frustrating. My Grandad has trouble with his knee, he had to have a minor op on it where tey removed  bits of lose bone that were scraping against the knee cap, or something like that. I'm sure he could sympathise with you a bit

Oh I know the feeling, I've sort of temporarily stopped the Opposition Views here due to this reason. You get some that are all for it, then they mess you around but thankfully the majority are usually very nice.

Sounds like you have your work set out though buddy. Keep up the good work! How's the job going?

Thanks buddy...

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Oh I know the feeling, I've sort of temporarily stopped the Opposition Views here due to this reason. You get some that are all for it, then they mess you around but thankfully the majority are usually very nice.

Sounds like you have your work set out though buddy. Keep up the good work! How's the job going?

Thanks buddy...

It is frustrating isn't it. It's even harder when you try and speak to oppositon fans in the Southern League because the majority of clubs get an average of between 100 and 250 fans, hence Weymouth being a big game for them. I had an Arlesey fan agree to do it the other week but despite numerous messages asking if he was still up for it he never got back to me. There was no online forum or anything so i had to leave it that day.

Jobs going well thanks mate, starting to settle into the routine of it now. I was given a three month contract initially which runs out next month. Depending on how the store does over christmas, I could be kept on. In my department, two people have already left so I'm hoping that gives me a greater chance of staying on. They had me doing a few new tasks today, so I'm hoping the fact they're training me in a few different areas means they're looking to keep me on long term. Fingers crossed!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

General advice really, such as using ice packs if it's really bad - having baths (if my joint/knee hurts). I've been pretty much unmediated though, last week I had enough of the pain and decided to beg a doctor into giving me something (luckily I didn't have to beg). I've been given some pain relief gel - this reduces the swelling quite well.

----------------------------

Quite chuffed with today, it's my second full session as previously I had to quit due to the pain. I have an assessment next Thursday, I'm hopeful they'll give me more time.

Unfortunately one of the main reasons for swelling not subsiding is lack of movement, what my orthopedic consultant told me was to keep my entire knee encased in ice packs for 20 mins, this has to be timed, it will be quite sore between 5 - 10 mins but then goes really numb, then get in as hot a bath as you can stand (which has to be pre run) which has to be as full as it can be and once in the bath lie on the opposite side to which is sore and let your leg float which it will do if the bath is full enough and then start moving your lower leg in a simple forward backward motion, this will create the walking movement needed to alleviate the swelling and you will also be lying with your leg above the point of your heart which is the recommended position to create maximum dispersal of any leg swelling.

This whole process is helped massively if you have any Diclofenac or any other prescribed nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (ibuprofen / ibuleve isn't anywhere near strong enough) to take at the start of applying the ice packs as this along with the heat will have the maximum effect on reducing the swelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclofenac

Also another way of reducing the swelling by movement without the pressure of standing is by going to a swimming pool and hold onto the edge and allow your body to float and again very gently kick your legs for 15 minutes, don't do it any longer than this at first as it will still be a shock to the inflammed joints, once you get out of the pool apply the gel you have or if possible ice packs for 10 mins then go straight home and lie down with your legs above the position of your heart. 

This worked for me almost immediately and was one of the main reasons why i only needed key hole surgery and not the whole slice & dice operation which was in use at the time.

Hope this helps mate.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Joe,

I feel for you.

Something you could ask the doctor about is the possibility of having naproxen. It is the same type of drug as brufen, but stronger. one downside is that you also have to take omaprozole as a precaution against side effects.

This has worked for me somewhat in my fight against arthritis.

Good luck

Archived