Jermain Defoe To Toronto?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This is a shock transfer, I suppose not so much if you read the reports on how much he's expected to earn but still it proves what today's football is like. Toronto aren't even remotely like Spurs, who have gotten themselves into a shaky situation. On paper they've signed some gems from the fee obtained by selling Gareth Bale but sadly it's too quick, they've also missed the impact of two of their key players this season and one of which is in fact this very man.

If this goes ahead (I'm not sure if it as yet)... They've got themselves a cracking player, who should score for fun over in the states.

Worst case scenario is, he get's injured and ends up like Joe Cole - Still, this won't make him rethink.

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe could become the highest-paid player in MLS if he joins Toronto FC.

The England international is set to earn a basic $150,000 per week at BMO Field, with the Ontario club set to fork out an MLS-record transfer fee in the region of $13million for his services according to reports.

The fee trumps that spent by Seattle Sounders to take Clint Dempsey from Spurs in August, as the Reds look to make a statement in the MLS off-season.

Toronto, currently managed by Defoe's former Spurs teammate Ryan Nelsen, are looking to transform their squad, having finished 17th in the Supporters Shield in 2013.

They have already allowed United States midfielder Bobby Convey, former Dutch international Danny Koevermans and ex-Wales striker Rob Earnshaw to depart as they look to clear the decks.

And the expectation is that Defoe will arrive as one of their three Designated Players - the other two spots having recently been filled by new signing Gilberto and Argentine midfielder Matias Laba.

Full Story: Here - Thoughts?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

$150, around £90 in gpb?

surely that would be lower than he is on at spurs, for the mls i would be surprised. how much did beckham earn when playing for l.a galaxy? seems a dumb move to me.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

No Liam-$150K or $150,000 = £90,000.Money talks?

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,503
  • Days Won:  9

I think it's safe to say this will be the end of his international career, that is provided the deal is sealed.

David Beckham struggled to make himself available for selection, it's an odd move for Jermain. Money related or not, he could still continue to feature for any Premier League team and the middle table sides surely will be trying to temp him a way from this move?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

If he does not play for us, I don't really have an opinion. It seems a lot of money for one player though

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

any more news on this? im hoping he thinks about his england career, mind you how he fails to get selected is beyond me.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  485
  • Days Won:  1

be glad 2 see him leave and hopefully end his england carrear never rated him and find him big headed theres better english strikers so we wouldnt miss him at all any such look james milner go aswell.

Archived