Assistant longer term...

Feral Fox

Doyle has been a key link in moving to the backroom so far imo.

Would you employ him as full time assistant next season?

My slight concern is with him still being a player...has he got the contacts of who is available etc...compared to an older hand who knows the managers and agents well? (Or does that work in his favour that he knows more players still in the game?) Obviously we've got F Radar, but surely there is room for the previous knowledge as well and with IB not knowing the lower leagues as much, does he need a veteran assistant (not the laughing clown before anyone suggests him for a third spell lol)

I'm leaning towards keeping Doyle myself as Assistant, but we shall see...

I think it's been beneficial despite my original thoughts, I don't like the sound of him remaining as a player because Notts needs to inject younger legs. The longer the club relies on him, the bigger the issue within midfield we have. If we get the right depth in the centre of midfield, why would we want to fall back on him? I'm all for experience, but he's not someone to build around or rely on.

I'd rather present the opportunity to a youth team player.

Michael Doyle has been a decent enough player for Notts, his 2 seasons in the National League has highlighted that we require younger legs. I'd personally say, assistant coach or part of the coaching team/ retire. Or, remain as a player for one more season (as backup/occasional rotation) and take his coaching badges (without being the assistant).

IB should choose someone he trusts and is comfortable working with. If that's Doyle, then great. Having an experienced assistant sounds good in theory, but IB has his own contacts and won't have any shortage of people he can contact for advice. If Doyle does become assistant, it'll probably be better for him to do it from the touchline rather than playing. But there's nothing to stop him from naming himself as a sub and barking instructions / intimidating the ref while "warming up" ;)

I would like to see MD stay at the club as he's obviously well respected - one major failing in the relegation season was losing the likes of Alan Smith and Shola Ameobi, who had passed their best on the pitch but were clearly influential behind the scenes. Personally, I think if he isn't offered a coaching role he'll be gone.

Archived