Netflix shooting themselves in the foot?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

So, it's been rumoured for a while after leaks of trials in South America. Netflix has decided to update its account/password sharing policy, including new and bizarre measures to limit content to a single internet location.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64573517

Personally, I think where people predicted online streaming would defeat broadcast TV. I think we're coming to an era where there will be a major downfall, mostly because of all these companies that are trying to take over the world through their own single service. I mean, password sharing is something Netflix has ignored for years, but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by introducing a strict policy.

Do I agree with account sharing?

Do you use Netflix? If not, why did you stop, and what do you think about all this?

I personally think if it's within a household or family that otherwise might not get Netflix I see no harm. If it's being done simply to avoid paying for the service, that is where the fault lies.

For example: I don't think Netflix should limit mobile usage.

See Virgin Media allows up to 5 smart devices to use it's 'On demand' app, Virgin TV Go [some accounts may only have 3 devices I believe].

You register a device that is added to their system - you can use any internet.

Whereas Netflix's approach to nail down a single home IP is quite extreme - especially when that limits the actual household. Virgin Media does check for sharing, and they do it in a very logical way, which prevents the issue Netflix faces.

However, online streaming services charge a premium for users to avoid ads, and now that they can limit where you can use it is a big problem. It's only a matter of time before either Netflix bails on this new policy due to losing subscribers, or it makes its way into other streaming services such as Prime Video, Hulu, Disney + etc,

This has zero effect on me; I haven't subscribed to Netflix for years. I stopped using them due to pulling seasonal films off at the time you'd most likely expect to watch them. I couldn't also justify the price increase.

The issue with online streaming services is that everyone wants a slice of the pie, which waters down the appeal and creates further limitations. Meanwhile, most things which are said to be 'exclusive' are shown on normal broadcasts. I can honestly see so many major changes when one falls. ITV and traditional TV stations are adapting to a threat that is as empty as The Nottingham Post being banned from Meadow Lane by Ray Trew.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

They might be shooting themselves in the foot here. I think the idea of a family subscription is that it's used in one household, so technically sharing is a bit naughty, but it's been happening for a long time and Netflix have been fully aware of it. On the other hand, it's a very competitive market now and if Netflix is the most expensive option it could run into problems. If I want to stream TV series and films I can choose from Netflix, Amazon Prime (half the price and includes free deliveries and Champions League games), Wow (where all the HBO series are), Disney+ and more. Most of those providers also offer the same films.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Technically minded people will be able to bypass Netflix's IP, how many will be able or wanting to do this - I don't know. I would imagine more would simply just cancel, whilst a portion will just accept the changes. I still think its such a dramatic move, from a company who has encouraged this behaviour in the past not just in selected adverts but tweets.

All people would have to do is by a small mini PC, install Ubuntu server 24 (or their preferred Linux distro).

Bind a local IP to their machine, make sure that the device uses the same IP as what Netflix believes is the home internet. Install an open source script called Docker, then Portainer if you preferred a GUI instead of text commands. Then install and setup WireGuard, making sure that you expose the service to an outside connection. Simply download WireGuard app for your phone/laptop etc.

If something that doesn't have apps, you would simply add the info manually.

WireGuard will create a basic VPN that uses your home IP address, not safe beyond your home's access point - not in a true VPN way, but you are safe for this purpose. Any connected device will believe it's using your home internet.

Therefore, Netflix is fooled, the tunnel cannot be detected because it's only a VPN for your house - not worldwide.

Yet if someone went to all this just to stream outside, I would highly suggest people just look at Jellyfin, Plex or Emby. Stream your own content, be the master of your own viewership.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i stopped using netflix when their last price increased limited the lowest package, i dont believe it is money worth spend. i dont watch a lot of tv, i read books and browse the internet more than anything.

netflix to me looks like it is falling due to the market options elsewhere.

they should focus on selling a family bundle that permits any ip accessing it, but you must register each family member. yes people could claim they are family to share the password but really if the value is there most would pay i think. i am not sure being ott over a password or account is the best way forward as it just pushes subscribers away. some people cant afford it, i am not saying its right to share but its not right either to over charge.

each of their four plans just puts you off using them.

£4.99 with ads included
£6.99 ad free, 1 watch from one device at a time, 720p quality but most are not even hd.
£10.99 ad free, 2 devices can watch at a single time, full hd playback
£15.99 ad free, 4 devices can watch at a single time, ultra hd but most are not even actual 4k, just better bitrates of 1080 and this is mostly just films.

its just greedy imo.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

All the streaming companies charging £10 for a decent viewing experience, It's a bit much. Netflix also missed a trick by not signing companies down for long term exclusivity, with YouTube becoming bigger streaming would always eventually catch on.

It would seem Netflix has scored a massive own goal here.