Top 5 Players That Impressed You During Past World Cups

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Do you have any memories of seeing a player during a past World Cup that made you think “wow”? It might not be a big name; it could be an underdog like Achraf Hakimi for Morocco or Antoine Griezmann back when he wasn’t as well-known and surprised people with how good he can be. I’m interested in seeing what members here would list as their top 5 players that stood out.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  0

David Beckham, Luka Modric, Lothar Matthäus, Cristiano Ronaldo and Diego Maradona are all exceptional football players. When Beckham first joined the England squad, he always looked special. Luka Modric at one point single-handedly made Croatia a threat. Lothar Matthäus was a class midfielder/defender for Germany and was one of the best ever! In his earlier days, Cristiano Ronaldo transformed a poor and average Portugal into a team to watch. Diego Maradona broke hearts, but watching him play always felt like you were on the edge of your seat - such a talented player!

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

2002 was the first World Cup I paid some sort of attention to as it was around that time I started to get an interest into football so I'll go from that point onwards. 

Asamoah Gyan in 2010 was the main man for a Ghana team that came so close to reaching the semi final. 

James Rodriguez in 2014 had the World in the palm of his hands following his showing at the World Cup. Unfortunate how his career has gone downhill. 

Luka Modric and Kylian Mbappe had fantastic World Cups. Modric single handedly got Croatia to the final with his midfield Maestro performances. Mbappe shown why he was such a highly rated young player and played a major part for France winning it. 

R9 at the 2002 World Cup. Bit of a redemption story for him after the 1998 World Cup controversy. At the absolute top of his game, especially in the final. 

Special mention to Tim Howard in the 2014 World Cup. Just for his performance against Belgium. Kept USA in with a chance of nicking something against Belgium in the Ro16. Save after save after save. Had the game of his life. 

Tajon Buchanan was a sensation for Canada at the 2022 World Cup. Genuinely surprised no one came in for him after the efforts he put in. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Michael Owen’s goal against Argentina was special. I wasn’t born then but I have seen it many times and it’s unforgettable when you see it.

Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba and Keylor Navas.

• Like 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@TheSkipper Keylor Navas was put on the map after Costa Rica's 2014 World Cup performance. They were deemed the whipping boys but did superbly in that tournament to get to the knockouts. 

Michael Owens goal v Argentina in 98 was special. Growing up as an Owen fan, I've watched that goal so many times. Everything about that goal was incredible from Beckham’s pass to Owens control, run and shrugging defenders off to finish it emphatically. 

I would've been 5 when he scored that but as mentioned I didn't have an interest in football till around 2002 which I why I opted for more 02 onwards cause there's so many players to choose from before our times. Especially Maradona in 86. Although I stand by the fact neither of his 2 goals should've stood. The second goal is easily the best World Cup goal of all time but as good as it was, it shouldn't have been stood along with his "hand of god" 

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  422
  • Days Won:  1

It's amazing to think that Antonio Carbajal, Lothar Matthäus, Gianluigi Buffon, Rafael Márquez and Cristiano Ronaldo have all played in 5 World Cups! Just imagine the dedication and skill it takes to achieve that. I remember watching highlights of Antonio Carbajal play for Mexico in the 1950 World Cup - what a player!

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

wayne rooney single handly giving england hope when we were dire, i remember that world cup where he had his best tournament and he played deeper because henderson and carrick i think it was sucked. james rodriguez who did well with columbia in 2014. i remember watching him and thinking what a player, he transformed everton temporarily before he left. romelu lukaku in 2018 for belgium he played very well. i thought he was unlucky not to go further than his team did because he was on fire. denis cheryshev did well for russia, i thought they were really poor except for him. oh their keeper was okay mostly. then i would say sterling who was england best outfield player and seems to have been discarded since.