Match Discussion: PSF - Forest (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  367
  • Days Won:  0

Routine friendly for both teams, neither side played badly and both gave their all. I think a draw would have been fairer, but when you give the ball away so cheaply, those are the situations where big teams will punish you. Luke Williams will have to focus a bit more on the team’s defending and passing from the back. Why we continue to make similar mistakes without noticeable improvement in this area of our play is concerning. Otherwise, I felt impressed.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Thanks for the reports it sounds like Notts put up a good performance against a strong Forest squad.

I listened to the two managers interviews afterwards and Luke Williams apologised for talking to a player (Cameron I think) from the touch line which caused him to lose concentration and gift the goal.

Williams praised the Forest manager for chatting with him before the game and said it wasn’t often you could swap ideas with a Premiership manager and he hoped to get the two management teams together at some stage for a meeting.

The Forest manager gave no praise whatsoever to Notts but mainly concentrated on talking about his team.

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Days Won:  17

Having been at the game yesterday I thought Notts did really well in the first half, forest hardly got a touch. As someone on twitter said Forest have the illustrious honour of joining Yeovil as being the only team to keep a clean sheet against Notts in the last 12 months. 😜 Also Luke has admitted to it being his fault they scored as he was shouting.instructions to Kyle Cameron. COYP. Wouldn't have known there was such a big gap between the leagues. Notts did well.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Days Won:  0

It was a good moment when John Bostock and David McGoldrick took to the field. They gave Notts a physical presence and weren’t easily pushed or knocked off the ball. I thought they also helped the players around them. It was great to see Notts going toe-to-toe with Forest.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,086
  • Days Won:  2

A huge step forward from the Stoke friendly, but again we know these are just about trying things. However, I like the fact that Notts, under Luke Williams’ instructions, tried the standard 4-4-2 formation. I hope we are able to adapt and play well in the league without relying on one formation. It was this change that made us competitive against Forest. If we had stuck with 5-3-1, I think we would have struggled to create chances. It was a good, entertaining game.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Williams praised the Forest manager for chatting with him before the game and said it wasn’t often you could swap ideas with a Premiership manager and he hoped to get the two management teams together at some stage for a meeting.

It’s clear that full focus during key stages is crucial. Williams owning up to his mistake and apologising shows good leadership. I initially thought Cameron had switched off, but this explains what happened.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

It was a good game of football tbf.

I thought we deserved at least a goal. We had the better opportunities and I think it's fair to say the loss was possibly against the run of the game. It was only a mistake that let them in to get the only goal which Williams owned up to after the match rather than it being down to Cameron which I have to give him credit for doing so it shows great leadership deflecting it onto himself rather than the player. 

There were times where it was a bit frustrating that nothing was materialising in the final 3rd despite getting in to good areas on multiple occasions only for the ball to end up back or Forest being able to regroup quickly. 

I did notice that when Claxton played the wrong ball, Langstaff was quick to blast him for it as there were better options available for him to pass to that could have lead to a great attacking opportunity. 

There will always be those that say Forest didn't play their full squad that would regularly feature in the Premier League but there were many of them that will feature quite often next season. Also, we played a very mixed bag in both halves especially the second half where the likes of Claxton, Munakandafa and Mahovo came on. 

Jones and Nemane, I thought, did well down the wings and looked threatening going forward. I'd also like to note that Chicksen had Mighten right in his pocket which led to Forest needing to move him on the other side. 

Overall I thought it was a great pre season game that showed where the players are at and also gives Williams an idea of where the teams at, what needs to worked on and how to progress with this team for the upcoming season to get the most out of it. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  224
  • Days Won:  1

Nottingham itself had a festival-like feeling in the bars and pubs. It was a nice change to see fans of both teams having a laugh and realising how good it is for our city that we support a local club. The pace of the game was set quite early, and although there were times when it lifted, it would naturally reset back to the original amount. This made the friendly a lot more enjoyable. The brief spells of rain never bothered me, and I thought the game itself was brilliant. Both teams tested each other, and the defeat doesn't bother me, nor did the manner in which it happened.

• Like 1