Fact of the day

Piethagoram

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

I’ve heard this before; it’s quite interesting. Notts are credited with many of the game’s advancements, such as throw-ins and the offside system. If it can be proven that Notts were the first team to pay for a player, that would be another fascinating achievement.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

great little fact, it would be good if it could be clarified and proved to be true/100% correct.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've posted about this, as did JJ many years ago, but we kept getting comments from other clubs fans - so, Joe decided it wasn't worth doing because it's extremely difficult to validate. I know Stoke City fans believe they were the first, along with Preston.

We'll take it though, as I do recall reading a paper clipping in my grandfather's scrap book about Notts being the first to pay for a player and how it was not sportsmanlike behaviour.

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

I remember David Herd .Before you comment,  @Fan of Big Tone, it was a different David Herd,also a Scot,who cost Arsenal £10,000 in 1954. In1961 he joined  Man U for £35,000.How transfer fees have rocketed to todays ridiculous levels! 

• Haha 1