Do the best players in the land together, make the best team?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

International football teams don't play regularly like club football teams do. 

When Clubs try to sign the best players they usually sign just one or two at a time, so the balance of the side is not really affected.

New players attend training and are moulded into the side over a period of time, not always, some are selected straight away, but a side can easily absorb that new player.

With the vast majority of international sides, the Manager selects the best players from that Country and tries to mould them into a successful team

So can the squad of an international side numbering 25 of the best players be coached & moulded into a great team, with the majority of the work done on the training ground?

Or should the manager pick players, that may not be technically as good, but have a great attitude, have great commitment, energy for & are better team players?

I believe the latter because at the end of the day, football is a team game & yes, its ok to have a few of the best players to form a focal part of the team, ie, build the team around them, but as I said, superior team players with good attitude, that are of good quality, but not necessarily the best, could be the best option, to mould into a good side to win tournaments.

• Like 3

• Robbie changed the title to Do the best players in the land together, make the best team?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

It’s not always a guarantee of success. While having a talented team can increase the chances of winning, there are numerous factors that can complicate matters. Often, the greater the talent, the larger the ego. This seems to be a common issue in Brazil. However, I believe that sometimes, it’s essential to choose dependable team members in addition to the star players.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

If we look at the Present England setup it's biggest Problem is it's Head Coach.  Yes I know I keep going on about Southgate, but what real Credentials has he got to lead the 3 Lions? A Manager's Position at Middlesbrough  some success with the England Under 21 side and that's about it. Oh almost Forgot he's also a Yes Man. So who really runs the England Team Southgate or the F.A.? Is Southgate just a Mouth Piece a Figure Head if you will Kowtowing to his Masters at the F.A.?

Since the tenure of Terry Venables the England Managers who have followed None of them have been able to Inspire the England Squad onto Great things. And I don't care what People say hiring a Foreign Coach is Wrong on so many levels. How can a Swede or an Italian get enthused about a Footballing Side which isn't from his own Country? Put Pep in the England Dug Out and even he would Struggle.  What has this got to do with this Topic? I'm coming to that it's just that the Rot in England's  Case starts at the Top and Trickles Down.

You can read any Have Your Say Fans Comment Section, and you'll get Dozens of Reasons why certain Players should be Picked for England and Why they Shouldn't. The England team for Many Many Years have consisted of Individuals, Talented Players but Individuals None the Less. England need a Team that play as a Team, they don't have to be the a Top Top Player just someone who gels with his Team Mates learns the way the play and they all become a United Unit ready to Play Help Encourage  and Inspire each other, but most Importantly and this is another of my Favourite Quotes, they need a Captain who leads on the Pitch, someone who can coax the Best Out of His Team, understands the Game and how things can change during a Match and can himself adapt to those Changes But Can also help His Team Adapt. Since the turn of the 21st Century which England Captain as fulfilled his Role? In fact who was the Last England Captain that had True Unfailing Leadership Qualities?

• Like 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

@CliftonMagpie

Exactly, that's why I thought this would be an interesting topic to disgust 

As an example, we know that Notts used data analysis and statistics as part of the recruitment process.

Notts will also have personality evaluations of potential new players & with all this data collected, will then make a decision on whether the player fits the criteria that Notts want in that particular position where the player is needed.

I wonder if international teams, like England use similar data analysis to choose the right players to make up an international squad.

My guess is, by what I've seen, very little, because it seems to me that the very best players are chosen because they are the best players full stop, & then they are then expected to play as a World beating team.

If I were one of those football journalists, I think I'd ask that very question. It would be interesting to see what the answer would be.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

@Wheelbarrow repair man @Robbie - At present, I feel England’s team lacks a sufficient number of experienced senior players who have participated in major tournaments. Over the past five to six years, we’ve seen an influx of exceptional talent, but previously, our midfield was filled with seasoned players. I don’t consider Declan Rice to be among these, despite his presence in the team. I’m referring to players of the calibre of Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, and David Beckham. A large portion of our current squad still appears quite young and seems to struggle with the pressures they face. I understand they’re professionals, but so far, the only player who I believe has lived up to expectations is Cole Palmer, who made a notable cameo appearance. He seemed eager and unique, ready to work hard and create problems for the opposition. Jude Bellingham performed well in his debut match, but I felt he was largely absent in yesterday’s game. Phil Foden played better, but still not up to the level we anticipate. Maybe Harry Kane shouldn’t be the captain? I’m certain that someone more engaged and passionate could elevate the standards on the pitch, much like the retired players I mentioned did when they wore the captain’s armband. Declan Rice should be the captain, but having some of the world’s best players won’t matter unless they perform as a team. This is more quintessentially English than a fried breakfast.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@CliftonMagpie

No Harry Kane Shouldn't be England Captain. I've always maintained  at both Club and International Level A Captain should be a Defender or a Midfielder (Sorry Macca) there have been of course Excellent Goalkeeper Captains in the Past.

In another Topic I wrote  (Manager G.O.A.T.) I stated that England's First Manager Walter Winterbottom was never allowed to pick his own team, that was left to a Committee. Makes you think maybe that might still be going on in some form or another.

Gareth Southgate I think we should pick this Player

F.A. Committee Oh No Gareth, we Couldn't Put him in the Team He's Not  Classed as a Super Star.

Gareth Southgate Of course Not. What was I thinking? I Bow to your Superior Knowledge of the Game.

Which brings me back to a Brian Clough Quote  The F.A. Don't want  me as England Manager, they're to Afraid I'd take Over And Run Things Properly. And I Would.

So the F.A. Want a Coach who does as he's Told and wont make Waves and Do Their Bidding. Good Grief That Might Mean Southgate Will Get Another 5 Year Contract. Which Reminds Me Of A Saying 

EGO KILLS TALENT.

• Like 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

It can depend on the manager but not always the case in having brilliant individual players to make the team better. 

Sir Alf Ramsay won the World Cup with England in 1966, not because he had the best players in the land but because the players he selected suited the way he wanted to play. I could be wrong but I believe Geoff Hurst was one of those players who questioned Alf Ramsay about being selected to play for England as he didn't think he was good enough to which Alf Ramsay told him it wasn't about him being good enough it was that he's a player that fits in his style of play. 

I think the crop of players England have at their disposal is good enough to consistently challenge but unfortunately I don't think Southgate has the capabilities to get the best out of them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I think Pep would get this team working, maybe not to the level many believe he would but he'd definitely get them playing some exciting football. A type of football we're crying out for, a type of football that plays to the strengths of the players we have at our disposal. 

We have individual talents in this crop that all have a form of unity, bonding and togetherness about them, which is down to Southgate harmonising them from the cliques that hampered the England squad for years. The only thing missing is the tactical side of things. While Southgate has done some good in getting the togetherness and regaining that sense of believe that has been missing for years, he lets himself down when it comes to the tactical side of things. He hasn't got the capabilities to take England to the next step tactically as has been seen in recent performances. 

As for the captain side of things, I said from the moment Harry Kane was given the captains armband it was the wrong choice. Harry Kane is not a captain, especially not for England. It showed during the last World Cup when Southgate's reason for taking Jordan Henderson, who was captain of Liverpool at the time, was for his leadership. Harry Kane hasn't got it in him to lead England on the pitch. It's the modern game, captains are selected on popularity rather than leadership qualities. 

Tony Adams, Bryan Robson, Alan Shearer, David Beckham. They were all captains who could lead by example. Captains who wouldn't be afraid to go to manager and vent their frustrations or give insights as to what they believe needed to change.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea (06-18) all identify the best players and go out of their way to sign them. It generally works, but some of the best players in the world don't always work well. Sometimes you need a dependant player, that might not be the best but does exactly what you want.

England has a good squad.

Defensively, I think it's a lot more promising with Marc Guéhi. I think he's a far better defender than John Stones or Harry Maquire combined. He's settled well into this squad, but when you push good players to play in weaker areas due to a lack of cover there. Such as Kieran Trippier who has done well on the left side and can play the position - this tournament I just wished we played him on the right where he's extremely far more lively.

Midfield wise we are extremely blessed, and I think the best players we have in this department can work well together, provided they keep a better shape and make movement. Rather than remaining stagnant and merely staring into space.

You have to make the best players you have accountable, push them and ensure you can get the best out of them. Otherwise, it's just wasted potential.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Chris

@Wheelbarrow repair man

As an example, Jude Bellingham has been lauded as the best England player we have and is also touted as currently the best player in Europe and is being mentioned as being in the same page as Ronaldo & Messi

I've seen Messi quite a lot playing for his club and internationally, and I can't remember him having a poor match. If he didn't score, he was till an influence on the pitch.

Bellingham has had a poor tournament to date. He scored England's only goal in the first group match and he played reasonably well in the that match too, but in the next two he looked ordinary.

I don't want to say he is overrated because he is clearly a gifted player, but as in any sport such as tennis for instance, talent is one thing but the head has to be tuned in too.

For me Bellingham looks out of it mentally at this time, his reaction to the rough treatment he was getting was telling, & he looked frustrated too.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

jude bellingham looks like a great player with no end of potenial but the last two games he has been virtually invisible. players like him need to be game chargers, have that spark that makes things happen. we have a talented squad and some of the best players in the world but that does not mean they will be great when playing together.