Has multiple substitutions changed Football?

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

When I first started to attend football matches, Football teams in this Country & around the World could only use one substitute & for the vast majority of the time the substitutions were for injury only, not for tactical reasons.

Until 1958, no substitutes were allowed at all 

But now a PL team is allowed 9 players on the bench, & the EFL 7 & 5 can be used on three occasions during a match.

The fact that substitutions allowed have increased so much in recent years, it has changed the game totally.

Football has become a squad game and the strength of the squad determines whether a team can be successful or not.

The vast majority of substitutions are now tactical. It's a way of putting fresh legs on the pitch or to change the shape, style and tactics of a team. Substitutions are also made to take penalties after extra time.

I'm not sure what the founding fathers of league football would think if they ever knew how the game has evolved in the way that it has.

I personally think that too many substitutes are allowed, because for one, it favours the richest clubs, & it has been changing the game exportentialy.

What are your thoughts on the number of substitutions allowed, is it a good or bad thing for football in general?

Do you think it has changed the game for the good or the bad?

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i dont see it as being a negative it just allows larger squads to make full use of its players, it might benefit teams who have a bigger budget as their bench might be stronger than others but thats the off take situation you have to accept. i think the national league being dated really showed why it is important to have more subs and more players named on the bench.

tactically and for fitness reasons it makes much more sense than not.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

When I first began watching football, there weren’t any substitutes. The teams were smaller, not like the large squads we see today. However, as the sport evolves, so do the rules. I believe this progression is logical. In my opinion, there should be a maximum of five skilled substitutes, and never more than that.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

In my Opinion it's ruined Football. How Long Will It Be Before We see a Different XI in the Second half to the one which  Started the Game?  Sounds Daft But that seems to be the way things are going. I agree with you that it Benefits the Richer Clubs. In fact the Manchester City Second XI would have won the Premier League last season, if Not they would have come Very Close. How is that Fair? It isn't

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

With larger squads, more frequent games, and players with potential health conditions, I believe the current system is fine. However, before long, you might be able to substitute your entire squad. It should be kept to a reasonable limit, but I fully support the current setup.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Did the number of substitutions increase during COVID, allowing teams to make more than 5 changes? I mean temporarily.

I seem to recall watching a few games where virtually the whole squad was coming off, but my memories are iffy, so this could have been a foreign game or something. That seemed excessive but 5 is about the right amount. I think anything higher, it just becomes a farce.

Three subs has always seemed quite restrictive, whereas you can make 4 changes and reserve the 5th just in case of an injury.

I would rather see tactical changes which are introduced by bringing on a different player, then to watch a match where teams are grinding out a 0-0. Much like coverage of a football match on The Simpsons. It gives managers a chance to change things and inject fresher legs, so personally I like how things are right now.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The footballing authorities might not admit it, but Football seems to be going the way of following American football where they have "special teams"

Examples are substitutions being made before extra time to put on a goalkeeper who is good at saving penalties and players who are good at taking penalties.

It worked well for Notts in the playoff final😀

Do we really miss them old FA Cup replays?.

Not really.