A Can Of Worms.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Ok I'm about to Open A Can Of Worms Here. Who in your Opinion my fellow PON members.

Is the Greatest Player Ever to Pull on a Notts Shirt?

This Topic may have been Covered before, if it as Please Indulge Me. I will assume there will be many different Answers because of the Wide range of Fans of different ages who have Watched Notts over a Number of Years. But it will be Nice to hear from the Young Fans as well as the Veteran Fans. So lets hear from all Magpie Fans who is the Greatest Notts Player in Your Opinion?

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,485
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I think Harry Cursham has to be up there who played for Notts in the 19th Century & "Such was his scoring prowess that his tally of 49 goals in 44 matches still stands as the all-time FA Cup record, and has remained unchallenged since 1887!"

Details via Wikipedia here👇

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Cursham

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,485
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Who I saw play in the flesh. 

Has to be Don Masson.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Don Masson is undeniably a Notts County legend, just like Tommy Lawton, I would argue.

I have heard many stories about Lawton, and I think we can consider ourselves lucky that we have had so many great players at Notts. There's probably no such thing as the greatest, but greats instead.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

@Chris

I think you're right it would Probably be better as Greats, because of Players from Different Eras come to Mind. It was just that without a Shadow of a Doubt the Greatest Manager the Magpies have ever had was of Course the Late Great Jimmy Sirrel and I just wondered if there was a Notts player that stood out from the Rest. Tommy Lawton springs to mind, but I never saw him play. The Don and OOOO Tommy Johnson a couple of Good Calls in more Recent seasons Lee Hughes Comes to the Fore and of Course right up to Date Macca.

Then we can't really Forget Les Bradd, Killer Kilcline, and even Jim O'Brien I suppose the List could go on and what do we base the Greatest Player on? Goals Scored? Appearances? Matches Won? Should Data be part of the choosing the Greatest? Because it would seem to be  unfair to Dismiss Players such as Albert Iremonger with 564 appearances 211 of which were in succession. For Notts in Goal. And he's even got a Road named After him. Plus he was Nottingham Born and Bred.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Jackie Sewell also used to regularly attend Notts games, which is a testament to his greatness and love for Notts.

@Fan of Big Tone is needed to add his greats to this. ;) 

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

@Chris

@Fan of Big Tone Chee I Wonder Who He'll Pick ? It Will Be One Hell Of A Tough Decision For Him😂

Well of course Big Tony Hateley is my all time favourite player but of course there are many other great players who have graced the black and white stripes.

I guess Tommy Lawton has got to be among the greatest if not THE greatest player for us.

Others I would mention would be Jackie Sewell, Don Masson, Les Bradd and latterly Macauley Langstaff of course.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

My earliest memories of Notts revolve around us being in League 2 and struggling so it's slim pickings for me and others from the younger generation. The munto season bought in some fantastic players albeit under false pretences, but had it not been we probably wouldn't have seen the likes of Ben Davies and Kasper Schmeichel. Agree Macca is the most recent best player, his goal record was incredible.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

lee hughes @menzinho!! ;)

neal bishop was a great captain and whilst not the best player, he made up for it by being reliable. mike edwards, michael johnson, mark stallard, danny allsop, ian richardson, so many greats.

• Like 2