Derry Playing next season!

Canadian

Am I the only one not overly happy with this? There's a reason you rarely hear of a successfull player manager, if ever. You either do one or the other. You cannot manage effectively if your playing as you spend more time worrying about your own game than taking in the game as a whole, meaning you don't see anywhere near as much as you do on the touchline.

Shaun had said last season he was happy to have packed up playing when he did and he continually said "I'm Shaun Derry the manager now". So this is one hell of a change of heart, and one I'm not overly enthusiastic about at all

He stated in front of 300+ people at the end of season review, that the role of player/manager was out of the question, as the role is too much to cope with. So unless he was lying to us all.

Am I the only one not overly happy with this? There's a reason you rarely hear of a successfull player manager, if ever. You either do one or the other. You cannot manage effectively if your playing as you spend more time worrying about your own game than taking in the game as a whole, meaning you don't see anywhere near as much as you do on the touchline.

Shaun had said last season he was happy to have packed up playing when he did and he continually said "I'm Shaun Derry the manager now". So this is one hell of a change of heart, and one I'm not overly enthusiastic about at all

If it saves the wages of a fringe squad player then I'm all for it. We don't need signings like Fotheringham and Bell were that just eat into the wage bill. Similarly to when Pilkington was needed, there is no point in signing someone just for cover when we have what we need.

Saying that, I'd be against him being a first teamer as it'd suggest we didn't have a great transfer window!

Supporter+

I can't make my mind up about this one, so I'll sit on the fence and say it could be a good thing but then again it could be a bad thing. :rolleyes:

If it saves the wages of a fringe squad player then I'm all for it. We don't need signings like Fotheringham and Bell were that just eat into the wage bill. Similarly to when Pilkington was needed, there is no point in signing someone just for cover when we have what we need.

Saying that, I'd be against him being a first teamer as it'd suggest we didn't have a great transfer window!

I'm sure that it the case, at least I certainly hope so! I just don't think it can work at all, and to be honest Derry knows it. Maybe it's just me but I think a player-manager just looks a bit amatuarish too. It dosen't tend to be a long term solution

He stated in front of 300+ people at the end of season review, that the role of player/manager was out of the question, as the role is too much to cope with. So unless he was lying to us all.

He said at the YPA (jokingly) to the young pros "Keep me out of the squad, I don't want to be picking myself ahead of you. So make sure I don't okay"

I don't see it as a bad or good thing, I'm sat right on the bench (I mean fence).

I don't see a problem here.SD could put himself on the bench or actually start a game but I think he'd only do this in certain circumstances.The fact is he is available if needed.

Archived