Grealish Rejects Ireland Call-Up

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Jack Grealish: Aston Villa player turns down Republic call-up

<!--url{0}--> Aston Villa's Jack Grealish has turned down a place in the Republic of Ireland squad for the friendly against England and Euro qualifier against Scotland.

There was speculation that the in-form midfielder would be called up by Republic boss Martin O'Neill but Grealish, 19, asked not to be included.

Birmingham-born Grealish can also play for England although he has already represented the Republic's Under-21s.

"Jack didn't want to make up his mind at this stage," said O'Neill.

The Republic manager said he had spoken to both Grealish and the player's father.

A "disappointed" O'Neill confirmed he had intended to include Grealish but added that he still believed "there is a good possibility" the midfielder will play for the Republic.

"I'm sure that he could in the future (choose Ireland)," said the Republic manager

"He didn't want to make a decision now. I would have liked to have had him training with us for the week ahead of England game. That's a disappointing aspect."

O'Neill's press conference to announce his squad was delayed by around 40 minutes.

Asked whether this was because he had been in conversation with Grealish's father, O'Neill replied:"Not necessarily."

O'Neill's side face England in Dublin on 7 June before the vital home Euro 2016 qualifier against Scotland at the Aviva Stadium six days later.

Grealish is believed to be on England Under-21 boss Gareth Southgate's radar although the teenager has said he plans to play for the Republic's Under-21s in their Uefa qualifier against Andorra on 8 September.

Earlier this year, Grealish suggested he wanted to delay a call-up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad until next season.

Grealish earned positive reviews for his display in Villa's FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool last month and has continued to impress in recent games for his club.

O'Neill has given first senior call-ups to Aberdeen striker Adam Rooney and Brentford midfielder Alan Judge as he named an extended 33-man squad for the games which will be preceded by a behind-closed-doors game with Northern Ireland on 4 June.

Everton midfielder Darron Gibson (foot) and Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark (medial ligament) are both ruled out by injury but Robbie Keane is included despite concerns over a groin problem.

Republic skipper Keane has not played for LA Galaxy for a month because of his injury.

O'Neill will reduce the squad before the players link up on 1 June.

Republic of Ireland squad

Goalkeepers: Forde (Millwall), Given (Aston Villa), Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Randolph (Birmingham)

Defenders: Keogh (Derby), Wilson (Stoke), Coleman (Everton), Christie (Derby), O'Shea (Sunderland), Pearce (Reading), McShane (Hull), Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders: McCarthy (Everton), Hendrick (Derby), Arter (Bournemouth), Whelan (Stoke), McGeady (Everton), McClean (Wigan), Judge (Brentford), Brady (Hull), Pilkington (Cardiff), Quinn (Hull), Meyler (Hull), Hoolahan (Norwich)

Forwards: Keane (LA Galaxy), Long (Southampton), Murphy (Ipswich), Walters (Stoke), Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Stokes (Celtic), McGoldrick (Ipswich), Rooney (Aberdeen), Cox (Reading)

My personal thoughts are that he needs to settle within the international scene, this will enable him to focus on his performances and naturally give his current manager something to think about. Yet, I feel it's a mistake to reject his call-up. I respect the decision but I feel he decided to play for Ireland, he should go down that route for me and hopefully this England talk isn't turning his head.

No doubt he would achieve more with England but I just think about 'roots'.

What about you? Right call?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

personally if hes done this focus on his league performances good for him, but i would not rush my decision as i think he should remain available for ireland. he decided to play for them for a reason, i dont blame him for rethinking but he should continue the journey is on because its got him to be where he is now.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

It seems to be over hyped for me, Jack will do well to establish himself as a 11 in either side and in a couple of years whoever he plays for will have been lucky.

good luck to him!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

Why did he stay at Villa? He has values and loyalty, time to commit to Ireland. England are like Chelsea, they both ruin left sided wingers or choose not to play the best.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I don't think he deserves either, he has not done enough yet to warrant it and he should focus on his career at villa more.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

It's strange how "proud" I feel for how well Jack is doing since we had him on loan, and it's great to see him getting praise from Villa fans and the media alike. It's probably because he has been one of the only bright sparks in 2 relatively low seasons.

It's a tough one for him in terms of his international career.  He is born and raised in Birmingham, but it looks as if his father still plays a huge part in his life (understandable for a 19 year-old). So in terms of loyalty, it's either loyalty to his father or loyalty that the country he has been born and raised in.

Obviously I'd like to see him put on an England shirt, but we'll have to wait and see

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

He's also started to be trolled by Irish fans supposedly, I am not sure all will be but it sums up that 'social' site.

Jack decided to play for Ireland, either he felt that was a way to gear himself towards regular football, aid him in his first team bids or to honour his Irish family - I don't think he should change now. Naturally I would love him to play for England, yet I would always support him as a player and get behind him no matter what. I just don't feel players should be able to change their nation once they are capped, not even at youth level.

Once you feature for a national side, that should be the side you represent but obviously the windows left open until it's a senior cap.

It's almost like the Villa/Chelsea scenario, he stayed with Villa because it's his 'club' but also he was promised regular game time. He didn't get that under Lambert, however he's still there and nobody can argue had he moved to Chelsea he would have more chances of winning important trophies, yes Villa have the F.A Cup but he could be wearing a Premiership winners medal, he could be playing in the Champions League next season and he isn't. That tells me he values something, so I personally don't read to much into this England U21's vs Ireland's. I think if he does switch to play England, it will solely be down to his decision and I would respect that. 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

He does not deserve the abuse but he needs to decide sooner rather than later, he seems to be keeping his options open.

Archived