Mobile Phone contracts

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

OK...Its time for my renewal of my contract (well at beg of August) so trying to sort out the best option.

Currently have a 2 yr with 3 on their old one plan (everything unlimited)

Dont need anywhere near that in real terms and basically I have been paying for the phone, not the plan, which is fiar enough.

Have now Galaxy S4. Battery is knackered and cant make it through the day now so I'm thinking about going for a newer phone.

The biggest minefield for me is the provider. I talked to 3 and their deal is ok, but I think changing to ee might be a good idea with the integrated wifi calling. (on 3 it is a seperate app)

The stumbling block is ...carphone warehouse. Their deals are obviously better than the provider, BUT

when I play devils advocate with the actual provider they give me the big speill about check the terms and conditions. 3 even said they stopped working with cpwh because cpwh had the power to put the prices up themslves above the provider during the contract. When I questioned the 3 guy on why then 3 were going into partnership network with cpwh on their new provider id, they clammed up.

So...

Anyone had dealings with carphone warehouse good or bad?

Anyone recommend a better battery phone from the latest crop S6 or HTC1m9?

Adice more on the network provider if poss please.

Thanks all

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've heard you can get better deals actually contacting the mobile networks instead or using one of these online sim/mobile contract providers. I don't deal with them personally, I see them as a way to rip you off and tie you in.

Good luck getting a deal sorted.

@hissingdwarf are you heading up tonight?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I don't like buying a phone that ties you into a contract, I buy a sim free phone from Amazon or elsewhere and then sort out a sim only contract. At the moment I have a one month rolling contract with Virgin, it gives me 1,000 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb data, the cost is £8. The trouble is with this method is that you need the dosh up front to buy the phone, I realise not everyone can do that.

BT are also doing some good sim only deals for their customers.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Days Won:  0

Have now Galaxy S4. Battery is knackered and cant make it through the day now so I'm thinking about going for a newer phone.

That sounds like a tale for the wife, haha. Why not buy a battery replacement?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

look at a comparison site for mobile hansets regarding battery life but dont forget specs/performance.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

That sounds like a tale for the wife, haha. Why not buy a battery replacement?

I am a techno so like the new stuff! I normally stick with galaxy missing the odd variations. I've had 2, 4 and am looking at 6 or  htc 1 m9.

My iggest concern is buying from carphone warehouse tbh. There deals are much better than the operators themselves, but have no experience with them, only warnings from 3 (which they would have been stupid to not dis the opponents!)

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Carphone Warehouse are okay, treat things like any other shopping experience and you will be fine.

Just don't listen to the crap they come out with, as half the time they are reading from cards they have learned from - rather than person opinions and some go as far swaying towards whatever will get them the most money for the company. Do what specs would you like? I can get you a list then and I'll recommend the ones I know are good, as I am very into these things too.

Though I am not a branded person because Iphone/Samsung doesn't make them better, much these days goes down to the OS and the ROM build.

Specs are very close throughout devices also.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I prefer my current model, Sony Xperia. I currently have the Z2 version, however a Z3 is already out and a Z3 plus is coming out this month. 

HTC and Samsung are also good options with small differences in terms of performance in certain functions, but all in all they are pretty similar. All about your own personal taste I guess. My only concrete advice is to not buy an Iphone. More expensive for less/equal* performance. 

I dealt with Carphone Warehouse a number of years ago when getting my first contract. Their prices were better than going directly to the suppliers. They were fine, I had no need to contact them after buying the phone. I switched to Orange (Now EE) after the Carphone Warehouse contract expired as they offered me better 'loyalty deals', especially after I said I was going to O2.

Archived