Youth team

shepshedpie

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  1

Yesterday Notts' Youth team travelled to play Burton Albion at The Defence 6th Form College at Woodhouse, a lovely set up with a number of excellent pitches - a 28 mile trip for the Burton players - but only 6 miles for me!

It looked a tough game in prospect with Burton the early league leaders with maximum points from two games while Notts had none from their 1-0 defeat at Doncaster a fortnight earlier.

Notts put out a young team with six of the starting eleven being first year scholars.  They gave a good account of themselves though with goalmouth chances at both ends but the teams went for their half-time drink with the score still 0-0.

The second half saw Notts, with the slight wind in their favour, have more of the play.  It was therefore disappointing on the 67th minute when Burton scored and within three minutes had a second when a shot from the edge of the area went in off the underside of the bar - a cracking goal if you were supporting Burton!

So a poor start to the season for Notts with no points and no goals from their first two games - but a long way to go.

Nothing on our website yet, but according to the lads' parents Notts are away next week at York - in the cup.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,004
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's early days for the youngsters, as it is for the first team. I am sure things will start to click, having seen Mick work his magic - I feel its only time before we welcome some as pro's who help us build for our future.

Hopefully York will inspire 'em.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Great to hear about how our young players are getting on - who knows, in a few years they could be lining up for the full Magpies squad. Results aren't as important as development though, that's the absolute key thing. They need to grow as players first and foremost.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Agree with the above, but it certainly puts more wind in their sails if they're on a winning streak!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

@sheosgedpie are the youth team missing sarpong at all? Which player stood out for you?

I am sure the youth team will get to where they need to be, a league with no pressure really enables time to learn and to absorb the game.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

sounds like the scholars just need time to bed in and get used to the regular players. thanks for posting :)

Archived