Match Discussion: Game 37 - The Grecians (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Wonder how JF will spin this humiliation. No doubt he'll focus on the fact that we scored, ignoring the 4 Notts's conceded. We are so lucky that Dagenham & York are woeful.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

no game changing players like Stanley Filip Genaro in squads.....shameful,,Stallard says recruitment needs looking at too...hello Guy

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Just listened to Jamie's interview... No confidence that he knows what he is doing..... appears he is not going to walk.. Pity Colin didnt press him on lack of creative players

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

His interviews really are terrible

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I told people at the game today, and afterwards, I would have dropped Curtis Thompson - pushing Noble into the centre. Then Campbell and Banton could have been on the wing, which I know Banton wasn't very good but that's what happens when we use players like this. You can't rely on one player to be your only outlet, though taking him off for me was a terrible mistake.

Not that I felt we could win the game, but a draw seemed possible.

I'm not exactly bothered about the loss, just the way we did. I accept defeats but today, we didn't resemble a football team.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

Taking Banton off for Campbell was a strange substitution. A strange decision was awarding Thompson Man of the Match..Hewitt seemed to do more. Agreed @notts-joe  Notts didn't look like a 'team' in the second half. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

What was the point of the Campbell substitution? Banton was woeful today and had to come off, but as always it was a like for like substitution, no system change and then to do nothing after going behind was criminal.

He might as well have gambled by replacing a defender with a striker, we had nothing to lose.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

What was the point of the Campbell substitution? Banton was woeful today and had to come off, but as always it was a like for like substitution, no system change and then to do nothing after going behind was criminal.

He might as well have gambled by replacing a defender with a striker, we had nothing to lose.

The thing is it wasn't a 'like for like' substitution, Campbell played well as a winger under Moniz but under Fullarton he hasn't done much.

Now don't get me wrong, he's a brilliant lad and someone I highly rate but he's very inconsistent at the moment - which makes him very ineffective. Noble remained in a weird position, often drifting all over and he really does command his presence best from the centre of midfield. He can be an engine going forward, with his passing being something when used wisely can give us the advantage but his positioning today (and in recent games) is always going to limit his natural ability.

Banton could have been far more use in today's game, players quickly marked him and he just panicked half of the time.

His distribution and direct runs was a far outcry from what we have seen, even to a degree his crossing. In fact, he frustrated me quite a bit when he would take a man on then blast the ball into the opposition player losing the ball in the process. Whereas, he could have taken fewer touches and hit a more direct ball into the box without taking anyone on.

This said, I still think it was mindless taking him off because without him we had no real outlet.

Agreed he could have opt to drop back to 3 CB's, allowing an extra body to go upfront but really the game plan was awful. We play with no direction or edge to our game, it's predictable and very dated.

Only real logic was to keep Banton on and give more power to the absent midfield, which is where we are truly losing games because they offer no protection to the defence and absolutely nothing going forward. Seriously, regardless what people think - we always looked far more different with Stanley Aborah in the middle. I know people are getting sick of this, yet we need calm players on the pitch and certainly our best.

Alan Smith did okay for me, Curtis Thompson really doesn't seem to be having a great time at all.