Match Discussion: Game 38 - Pompey (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We all know Cooper will require time, I am sure he will be able to get but hopefully even he isn't left isolated without an assistant manager.

The score line shocked me but it didn't bother me or remotely anger me. As I noticed 'Nothing has changed' and comments which I really cannot repeat flashed across my phones notification screen - I really had to wonder what was going off. I have no idea how Notts played, I have been informed it wasn't very good but I won't pass judgement.

MC will adjust accordingly, I'm sure of it.

The players do have to try and put aside their feelings, I really do believe there's a core issue which stems from 'confidence' (among other things).

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,780
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@notts-joe I wouldn't say it's confidence, it's about a basic ability to defend.... I have just listened to Mark Cooper's radio interview... Maybe my rating for Hewitt of 2, was too generous. Expect Edwards to be in on Tuesday... 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

Hewitt was useless first goal out paced far to easy and the defender backed off benett to shoot second goal Hewitt is by benett again stops and doesn't track a simple run from benett.

The final goal mcnulty ball comes in again Hewitt is suppose to be marking him but let's him drift off goal he looked clueless.

Im serious I'd drop Hewitt holis and Boyce and play smith Eddy and bring one of the kids in.

same for RWB bring in Wildin LWB bring in Sharpe bit of pace and hunger and desire.

Drop stead and mcleod how stead missed that goal il never know why didn't he just put his foot thro it then a soft weak header.

Anyway drop them two give Gibson a go with Murray or either valencic 

And drop Thompson for that jack Macmilan another kid who may give a damn as Thompson has been poor lately 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Hewitt's defending is pathetic. It actually made me angry watching those highlights. He totally ignores even the very basics of defending.

Goal 1: Get yourself goalside. Doesn't even try, and the attacker is able to go on like he's not even there.
Goal 2: Track your runner. Doesn't.
Goal 4: Mark your man in the box and challenge him in the air if necessary. Doesn't even get close.

Goal 3 is a Hollis switch off.

What stands out is as is par for this season, they are all weak goals to concede. You wouldn't be as annoyed if there was at least a challenge to the attacker in which the defender was beaten, it's understandable. However, not one of those goals was the attacker under any pressure what-so-ever. You can understand why MC was raging.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

seriously I bet the young lads in reserves can defend better no joke I'd give Wildin Sharpe Aghastie rutty smith all a chance they'd show more desire.

Mcnulty header was a joke he isn't even tall or anything he had all day to time his jump as Hewitt is miles where he should be and then just looks when it's to late 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

8 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Hewitt's defending is pathetic. It actually made me angry watching those highlights. He totally ignores even the very basics of defending.

Goal 1: Get yourself goalside. Doesn't even try, and the attacker is able to go on like he's not even there.
Goal 2: Track your runner. Doesn't.
Goal 4: Mark your man in the box and challenge him in the air if necessary. Doesn't even get close.

Goal 3 is a Hollis switch off.

What stands out is as is par for this season, they are all weak goals to concede. You wouldn't be as annoyed if there was at least a challenge to the attacker in which the defender was beaten, it's understandable. However, not one of those goals was the attacker under any pressure what-so-ever. You can understand why MC was raging.

That last paragraph is an excellent summary of our problems.  We are such an easy team to score against.  Our full backs don't prevent crosses coming in, our central defenders don't offer a challenge when those crosses do come in.  The midfield allow opponents to run or even walk past them at will.  Further to that, we don't create chances and score any more.  Any team that is lacking quality but are organised and hardworking (most in this division) will be too good for us, because organisation and hard work is something we just don't have.  We are very, very lucky that D&R and York seem even worse than us. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i dont blame cooper but he should have made changes.

not the greatest opening game for the new manager but he will see what needs to change. 4-0 is a bad result whatever way you look at it but i fear it could have been worse.