AFC Wimbledon climb above the Franchise

DangerousSausage

In one way the League One table is making for very pleasant reading. AFC Wimbledon have gone above MK Dons for the first time since having to start at the bottom of the pyramid after Wimbledon FC chose to decamp to Milton Keynes. I've been following AFCW's progress since they were founded and am chuffed for them.

It would still be a bit simplistic to say that it's a wrong righted though - there's a long way to go, and in any case MK Dons are still enjoying a stolen and unearned league place. But that horse has bolted.

What happened to Wimbledon is an example of what should be avoided, its also unfair how they got a free ticket when the person decided to form a new called 'MK Dons'.

From my experience, people who tend to stick up and prefer MK Dons are quite arrogant. I've got into a lot of discussions via social media about this and often people try to argue about how its fair etc. It isn't fair what happened, AFC Wimbledon have used this to fuel themselves and they are the only side to have the right to call themselves 'Wimbledon' or the 'Dons'. I don't see how MK Dons managed to retain the history etc.

It should be AFC's legacy and long my their upraising continue.

I also had some heated online discussions with franchisers @notts-joe, but to be honest I think many of them were just trolls on a wind-up.

The "Dons" nickname goes back to a college near where Wimbledon FC were founded and is meant in the academic sense. The nickname has nothing to do with the Franchise or Milton Keynes and they should have the good grace to drop it but they don't. They did, however, return the FA Cup and honours to Merton council in exchange for a seat in the FSF. I have nothing against MK but they should have worked their way up the pyramid like everyone else. There's no way the League will right that wrong 12 years later. We can only hope Jamie Fullarton takes over there and guides them to the (Evo-Stik) Premier League ;)

After the Football League refused permission, Wimbledon launched an appeal, leading to a Football Association arbitration hearing and subsequently the appointment of a three-man independent commission to make a final and binding verdict. The League and FA stated opposition but the commissioners ruled in favour, two to one, on 28 May 2002 "

I believe it was the FA and not the FL was the final arbiter

Archived