same recruitment failings

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Having laid the ghost of Guy to rest, yet again Notts  appear to have failed in its recruitment policy.

Even having an experienced manager, hasnt really helped. Yes we are League 2, yet I still have no confidence that we have recruited well vis a vis the budgets of other L2 clubs. The Port Vale connection have yielded L1 players that are bottom half L2 at best. If writing a book on Raymundo's tenure, managerial appointments and lack of professional recruitment structure will be laid at his door

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

Not a book but a few of you may be interested in this recent article, jumping the gun a little on the takeover and having a look back on the Trew tenure:

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/read/2016/november/left-magpie-november

as ever @LeftPie-On a good read..pity you cannot take over View from the Press Box in the Match Programme. I feel in some ways sorry for the Trews, as various managers have misspent the budgets available to them. Even now, I am doubting if JS is savvy enough.... Borehan Wood made us look the same standard as them! 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Football is a unique 'industry' regardless of investment , the highs and lows come and go  quickly , we are a work in progress and our hopes and aspirations need to be realistic , and our praise and criticism need to be balanced and not to over the top , we are not yet a top team we are some way from that , so the ups and downs will continue .

@Who r ya?? You Pies!! I hear what you say, but mediocrity at the moment, I cannot accept   #StanleyIn

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Think we all share your hope for better @Piethagoram and find some of the performance's very disappointing, roll on better times hey pal .

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I think we're bang average this season. At the moment, one single good/bad result separates the play-off places from the bottom third of the table. It's sobering to realise that we are only one point further away from the relegation zone (6) than we are from 5th place (5). It's crazily tight.

That said, we've got an experienced management team at the club now and we've got to let them do their jobs. We've been sacking a manager a season for far too long, usually with negative results. I don't see anyone singing the new signings' praises, but the hope was always that they'd form a solid, well-organised team. We've shown flashes of that but we need to do more.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

I'm willing to accept mediocrity this season because of all the dead wood that is still on our books from previous years, but I would hope for much better next season and hopefully from January onwards. 

I will agree that out recruitment policy has been woeful for far too long and will continue to be until we get a decent scouting network in place, rather than the scattergun policy we have had over the last few years. A squad of 20 good players is what we need, alongside 3 or 4 youngsters and a couple of loanees for the season, other clubs manage it and do well, so why can't we?

I actually think that the new rules regarding when you can sign loanees has benefitted us, because I have no faith that we can recruit better than any other side in the division and we might have ended up being lower in the league with the old system.

January is going to be a very important month for us.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Ricardo Moniz and John Sheridan have both made better signings compared to season before their tenure, the problem for Ricardo was the fact he didn't understand the gritty and physical aspects of lower tier English football. Yes, he and whoever signed much of last seasons squad went OTT but on paper we had a strong team on paper - the gaps was probably down to management, as in how to fit players like Swerts into the first 11.

This time around Sheridan has kept things simple, he's signed players that are good at this level and perhaps the next.

I think more of the inconsistency is down to uncertainty over what is actually happening with the club in terms of is it or isn't it up for sale. Along with much of the deadwood remaining from Moniz time as manager, if we can fine tune the squad a little more - then sign in actual quality, I feel we will be better for it.

Much will naturally settle with proper stability (on and off the field). John Sheridan is good enough to retain the balance to change much of this, but we may not see any major changes until he's able to field a squad that he fully knows, respects and is prepared to play/drop under-performing players.

@notts-joe I was a great advocate of Grimsby's manager at the time... I cant fathom out why Sheridan's signings have been so poor, given his track record. Feeling very disillusioned about things at the moment

@Piethagoram I wasn't convinced by Paul Hurst myself, yet he was eager and hungry to succeed.

At that time I had little faith in any of the linked managers, however, I did grow to prefer Paul Hurst out of the few who had the merits of experience behind them. Then we opt for Jamie Fullarton, I really hoped Mark Cooper could have been given longer, he wasn't at fault remotely for the poor performances that happened during his reign here but hey. Stability is the key to success, you need it on and off the field - that won't happen here considering.

I also don't feel John's signings are poor as such, I do feel it would be largely different if a few factors was to change.

One being the squad size, however for me, I just get a bit annoyed when he speaks of 'headaches' and then he renders an outfield squad that is useless and spineless. I was very annoyed when he decided to play Alan Smith as a striker - especially when we have many other options. Scott Loach playing as a striker should be considered before we ever become desperate to play Smith there - it's not his fault but Sheridan's.

@notts-joe "I don't feel John's signings are poor as such"..... maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order :D ... Just how many goals has Duffy been responsible for conceding this season? O'Connor nothing special, still waiting for him to live up to the hype; and to remuneration paid? Tootle and Dickinson , solid but so slow. A goalkeeper and Rodman immune to being dropped? 

Let's not gloss over the fact that the woeful home form is that we lack any genuine spark. Only Stanley can provide that... I want to go to Meadow Lane and enjoy seeing some skill and a win.... I just can't see how things are going to change as we seem incapable of taking our game to the opposition?

@Piethagoram Only time will tell regarding the names above.

Worst signing for me is Alex Rodman - Dickinson would be a close second but there's major work that is required. Stability and a bit more quality could make a massive difference, the question will we get any additional quality? I suspect we may see worse signings and for some fans to say how much players like Duffy are better. ;)

Archived