Analysis: Notts County could finish as high as fourth in League Two

Joe Jones

"Experimental 3-6-1", a football analysis blog which focuses on the EFL, has looked at all the permutations in League Two and established that the division is ridiculously open.

Obviously our main focus will be on Notts County, which could theoretically finish as high as fourth. With 18 points left to play for and the playoffs 13 points away, it is a remote but still plausible possibility.

(On the flip side, they "could" also finish as low as 24th, but let's not focus on that shall we?)

Doncaster are guaranteed a chance of promotion at the very least as they cannot finish lower than fifth, but fellow automatic promotion slot-fillers Plymouth and Portsmouth could both find themselves in mid-table should things go wrong for them.

Have a look for yourself at all the permutations - here is the link.

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/02/whats-still-possible-league-2-2-apr-2017/

That would depend on every team above us losing all their games until the end of the season, which is actually not possible. We can finish on a maximum of 67 points, which would have been enough for the play-offs in ONE season since 1999 (Lincoln, who finished seventh on 66 in 2001). Carlisle are currently seventh and have 62 points with six games to spare. Let's not get carried away shall we? ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting but stepping aside for a second it's not what we need to think about right now.

99% certain we are safe, this is the main focus.

After that I would take things as they come, mid-table or just above the relegation zone - it doesn't matter. I firmly believe the club can attract the right players required in order to prevent the issues as of the last few years from being repeated. My focus is on enjoy life at Meadow Lane and ensuring this helps the club. 4th place? Not going to happen. I'd eat my eat if we finished 10th or higher. ;)

Archived