Women referees

ivansneck

On Saturday I was at Gladbach - Augsburg in the Bundesliga. It was the first time I have been at a top level game where the referee was female - Bibiana Steinhaus. She was promoted this season to the top level after a few seasons in division 2. Before the game i was chatting to friends and all were in agreement that they were looking forward to her controlling the game as they rated her as a good ref. Afterwards, I have to say I agree. She got the big decisions right and seemed to like to let strong tackles go if possible, she's not a picky or fussy referee if this game was anything to go by.

The most interesting thing was that I didn't hear any reference to her gender from the crowd, even when disputing her decisions. She was just called 'schiri' (ref). The fact that she is a women didn't seem to matter to crowd, players or coaching staff. In the end you just didn't notice it.

Could this happen in UK? If the reaction from the kop to the referee last night is anything to go by, I very much doubt it. Goodness knows how much more abuse there would have been if the ref had been female. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong, but in this country we seem to blame everything on the referee and I fear that a female ref would be an even easier target for the mindless and clueless abuse that abounds at ML at times.

There's a couple but you never really hear much about female officials.

I think football in the UK is a little sexiest if I'm perfectly honest, I recall seeing a female assistant and comments 'oh here we go, does she understand the game' type comments. I don't really care about the gender, I just want to see people who are good enough and don't bottle making decisions due to pressure - or just being out of depth in terms of their ability.

We need to fast track people with a good understanding of the game and, can continue this throughout games consistently.

If female officials are good enough, it will happen - it's like the debate about black managers/coaches.

Archived