The oblivion thread

After my unfounded optimism from yesterday, here's a dose of doom and gloom. With no takeover in sight, no money, players rumoured to be on the verge of walking out, a transfer embargo and our debut in a very competitive league just around the corner, we've never had a summer as difficult as this one. Our last spell in administration seemed to drag on forever, but it wasn't like this. There's a real chance that we won't kick off this season at all.

I've got no appetite to write this but it's been in my head half the day so I'm going to ask it. What happens if Notts fold next week? What do we do?

The council has promised to hold on to the ground for us. We need to hold them to that, publicly. If Notts can stay at Meadow Lane come what may, it'll be a massive advantage.

Then there's the need to get organised. Public meetings would have to be held, funding secured and a way ahead agreed. I think this is how Chester went about it. Wimbledon is a worse analogy as their fans already had plenty of experience in this when WFC moved to MK. In our case we don't have an active supporters' trust and many people are still (understandably) suspicious of them after the last experience. The risk here is that any dubious businessman could set up a club and declare it the new Notts County. In the worst case we could end up with a split a la Scarborough or Enfield, which would put us back years.

I'm just going to make some living sacrifices and do a bit of black magic to make sure that none of this actually happens...

It's very bleak.

The glimmer of hope is the news story surrounding the Haydn Green Estate.

I'm also slightly optimistic about something I've been told privately, which I have only discussed with @ARLukomski. The worrying thing is the poor handling of the clubs finances, Alan Hardy has really dropped the ball as he became to used to palling it up with former Premier League players than watching his businesses. Poor oversight on his behalf and I hope he's going to struggle like the staff have been for months (at some stage). I'm not a genuinely a bitter person, I just dislike all of his antics and feel he deserves some misfortune because he's never stopped to think about anyone else - just himself.

I do believe that Notts will be fine, I would have thought the FA/Football League would have stepped in as they have done with others in the past.

Archived