Pride Park Renamed

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Derby County has sold the naming rights of the Pride Park stadium and it will now be known as iPro Stadium in a 10 year deal that is worth £7 million. I'd be interested in @super_ram's thoughts on this one.

Also how would Notts fans feel if Meadow Lane was renamed. Personally I wouldn't mind what it was called (within reason) as long as it brought in some much needed funds to help us get out of the mess we are in. What do others think?

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I'll always associate Derby with the Baseball Ground........

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

You beat me to it with this post,Tony.I agree with you.Apparently this is one of the biggest independent deals and worth more than twice what Brighton got for the rights to name their ground.Any incoming revenue must help.I just hope it goes to improving the team.

I'll always associate Derby with the Baseball Ground........

I still think of Derby's home as The Baseball Ground.iPro Stadium isn't as bad as some ground names. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,990
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

7m for 10 years? That doesn't sound all that good of a deal, especially if Derby are to gain promotion in the next few years. The thing I don't get is the fact that Derby used Nigel Clough to sort out their finances, they signed cheaper players and wheel and dealed. This was all supposedly for the promise land and their survival, as they wanted to reduce the silly contracts that they had from their short time in the Premier League.

Something I've never really bought myself, as they didn't expect promotion and they signed very few players once they did gain promotion. I think the obvious high earner(s) would have been Robbie Savage and Kenny Miller - Two aging players I wouldn't expect to put a side out of pocket.

Additional funds from selling the stadium rights, for a group who are behind one of the most successful sports in the United States and have money to spend if they had the passion for the club.

iPro Stadium? Well it's not as bad as some but still, why do you need the money @super_ram? I doubt it will be spent on your squad.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Tony and Granny both beat me to it with their posts.I don't really care what the ground is called ,within reason as Tony says as long as the money is invested in improving the team.I still think of our ground as The Baseball Ground.

Tony and Granny both beat me to it with their posts.I don't really care what the ground is called ,within reason as Tony says as long as the money is invested in improving the team.I still think of our ground as The Baseball Ground.

This response totally dodges what I had to comment on, very sneaky. You know the American owners only want money, they have no desire to invest or achieve what they've been saying.

Each time it falls down to them switching directions.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I seem to remember that Notts changed the name of our stadium to Aaron Scargill Stadium for a brief period.

This from wikepedia:

"In June 2002, as part of a sponsorship deal, the ground was briefly renamed the "Aaron Scargill Stadium". However, the ground reverted to its original name when the deal later fell through."

7m for 10 years? That doesn't sound all that good of a deal, especially if Derby are to gain promotion in the next few years. The thing I don't get is the fact that Derby used Nigel Clough to sort out their finances, they signed cheaper players and wheel and dealed. This was all supposedly for the promise land and their survival, as they wanted to reduce the silly contracts that they had from their short time in the Premier League.

Something I've never really bought myself, as they didn't expect promotion and they signed very few players once they did gain promotion. I think the obvious high earner(s) would have been Robbie Savage and Kenny Miller - Two aging players I wouldn't expect to put a side out of pocket.

Additional funds from selling the stadium rights, for a group who are behind one of the most successful sports in the United States and have money to spend if they had the passion for the club.

iPro Stadium? Well it's not as bad as some but still, why do you need the money @super_ram? I doubt it will be spent on your squad.

GSE acquired Derby County in January 2008.They quickly replaced Paul Jewell with Nigel Clough as manager.He was given the task of reducing the wage bill and replacing overpaid ,underperforming players whilst remaining within a sustainable budget.However over the last 5 years GSE have invested £40 million pounds in Derby County which is a paltry sum compared to the likes of Man City,Chelsea etc.Derby County's debts in the last accounts were £34 million pounds which included the £15 million pound Pride Park mortgage.GSE are not gambling with Derby County's future by throwing in silly money but are very slowly building a team that will not only gain promotion to the Prem League but will be capable of remaining there and competing against the best.

Investing in the squad when you can is the wisest thing that an owner can do. Paying off a mortgage on the stadium, okay fair enough long term - it offers better stability but they don't invest all that much on the field. It's not about paying silly money, McClaren will expect money, perhaps even silly amount. I think Derby have been very lucky, as owners they allow you to fall behind the times.

It's pretty obvious that they have limited ambition, they should have stuck with Clough (as you would have preferred).

At the rate Derby are going, other teams will be established and real contenders. Whilst you struggle to build a quality side, I don't think it's about paying 2m for a player but making sure you invest adequately within the team.

As I've said GSE have invested £8 million in each of the last 5 years,at the same time halving Derby's debts and gradually improving the playing staff.I would rather have this approach than potentially end up like Portsmouth,Coventry and the other clubs who haven't been able to sustain their investments.As a Notts fan I would have thought you would understand how things can go wrong with 'investors'Mr.Trew is doing his best to restore your team after the disastrous Munto debacle but he doesn't own a money tree or possess bottomless pockets.Yes,all clubs need investment but it has to be sensible and any ways of raising extra revenue is most welcome.

Don't give me that.

They used Nigel Clough for his knowledge of bargain players, especially from within the lower leagues. In the Championship it's very hard to survive or remain established with these types of players, ultimately it takes time for it connect and some players will be inconsistent (as they're either not of this standard or still adjusting).

I honestly believe that they aren't what they say they're, I've listened to you in person and read many things. I frequent a couple of Derby fan sites (one being that friend who said we could use his ST's he gets from Derby)

Derby as a club can consider themselves to be very lucky to be playing Championship football, although some teams throw silly money at players. Our closest rivals for example (Florist) but building a quality team each year fair enough but that would mean investing capital on players. You'll never gain promotion by buying 'just' from the basement leagues, you need sign real quality and that comes from 500k+.

The owners would do well to make 1 impressive signing each season, just for the record I don't mean 1m up but a player who generally gets the fans interested.

PS. I've always said Notts cannot build a team on released players, we should replicate what Derby does. Buy from L2 and Non League(s) but once in awhile this might seem popular, especially if we snap the talent up from the struggling team. In terms you pay for what you get, unless you have a 'very' good manager you can only expect to be average.

I would love the Rams to sign 2/3 real proven quality players but this is far easier said than done.It's not just about how much a player costs but also persuading the player to sign.Any club might win an auction for a players services but then there is question of wages.Derby are in a very favourable position to attract decent  players but it must be done within a realistic wage structure.

SD has a similar problem as NC had when he took over at Derby. When he tries to bring in players he will  have to persuade them to join a struggling  team at the bottom end of a league, which will be difficult enough without considering the question of wages.

Derby, under GSE,have regained ownership of Pride Park and are building a very decent team.Time will tell if the GSE approach is the right one.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

A lot of these grounds that get re-named never stick.

People will still call it Pride Park.

It's only the new grounds that are built and named straight away, i.e Emirates. 

Archived