Looking For Answers

CapitaineSoccer

Hi everyone, my name is Ludovick Martin, I'm about to start a new blog in french for the Québec Soccer federation wich is a part of the Canadian Soccer Association. Every month I want to do a feature on a club people don't know about, as the oldest pro football club, I decided to start with Notts County.

First of all I'd like to know, is there any good website out there about the history of your club? I'm not too keen on relying on Wikipedia for information.

Also Id like to ask you guys a couple of questions related to the failed takover from a couple of years ago, if anyone is interested I'll simply post the here you can answer directly on the forum.

Thank you

-When the takeover by Munto Finance was first announced, what was the general sentiment about it? good or bad?

-How was viewed the previous owner of Notts County?

-How long did it take before there was some skepticism about the whole procedure?

-When Notts County was sold again, what was the reaction?

-Today woukd you say people are satisfied with the ownership of the club?

Thanks a lot

With regards to our history, you're best looking on the official site - Here.

---------Questions & Answers---------------

-When the takeover by Munto Finance was first announced, what was the general sentiment about it? good or bad?

Personally I was skeptical, it's easy to say this now on reflection but I honestly felt nervous about losing what we had. Of course I was excited also, the thought about achieving things and perhaps getting back into the top division made me slightly optimistic but I was always fearful about the type of players we would attract, the type of fans who'd come out of the woodwork and how generally it would change around Meadow Lane. After the flurry of signings, how our season started it was enjoyable for a short while but quickly things became negative and many fans didn't know what was going on.

Before Munto? Majority of our fans felt disillusioned by the Trust, the word being the opposite to how many of our fans saw them. I personally didn't have opinion back then, I kept to myself but I never really liked the former chairman - he didn't seem to care about his position.

-How long did it take before there was some skepticism about the whole procedure?

I've witness many football clubs lose their identities due to multimillion pound investments, I am a traditional football fan and I don't like the Chelsea, Man United or Man City for the reason they defeat what football is about truly. This is one of the reasons I first felt skeptical regarding the take over right at the very beginning, I think when the news started coming out regarding who really owned us this hit home, nobody seemed to know and the whole thing became a circus attraction. After Sol Campbell left (after playing one game) and many things I witnessed whilst working in an area where Peter Trembling visited, along side associates it just seemed very iffy.

It was a nightmare, I honestly didn't think we would attract someone who would be able to bring stability and I feared for what might happen if we couldn't attract a new owner. The candidates didn't fill me with confidence, there was a couple in the eye of the media but when Mr Trew offered a deal - Out of the other two potential buyers I felt a little more confident. It was vital we found a new owner who could handle to debts, so we could continue to survive and thankfully we did.

-Today would you say people are satisfied with the ownership of the club?

I'm still very grateful for what Mr Trew's done for Notts, I think the best decision was to avoid putting us into admin and who he found to take over the managerial role which aided us to go on and win the League Two title. This said, we have had a recession on bad managerial appoints and decisions to get rid of the one's who gave our fans hope. Losing key players, allowing them to go for free is especially disappointing and involvement with negative media input hasn't helped us any further. To answer your question - Yes I am, we could have far worse owners and I truly believe that our board are learning the hard way.

when the takeover by Munto was first announced, my thoughts were:

Blimey we are rich, at last, we are really going places. I had forgotten all about the sayings like "if it looks too good to be true, then it is too good to be true" and "you don't get anything for nothing"

The thought of being to surpass our close neighbours, was paramount for me. There were I believe plenty of fans who didn't like it, but I think the majority were just so excited.

I should have listened to the sayings

How was the previous owner viewed:

we were run by a supporters trust, unfortunately for me the weasel that was the Chairman, was a friend of certain members in my family. Along with him, they have now been disowned or defriended as appropriate.

How long before there was scepticism?

I think there were still plenty of us that believed / hoped it was true right up until around the end of September 2009, possibly longer for some.

When Notts county were sold again, what was the reaction

I personally was deeply worried, with alleged debt figures coming out of the club, I couldn't see us finding a buyer that could save us. I expected administration at the least. I have to say that Ray Trew and Aileen Trew, somehow kept us out of administration, that and the high court could have been the end of our existence in this form.

Thankfully we are still here.

Today would you say people are happy with the ownership of the club

I am happy, yes we are in a bad position looking at the football tables, the club has however improved in so many ways. The things I think give cause not to be happy, are the poor decisions in appointments, poor player purchases, while our best players have departed. I am convinced, the board do have the best interests of the club in their hearts, but at times they have a funny way of showing it.

Our attendance figures tell a story of how happy people are with the product right now, and they are not great.

Hope that helps

Supporter+

Here is my perspective for what it is worth.

I was really, really excited, I was abroad when the news broke, I remember my son texting to say Notts had been taken over by oil rich arabs, I thought it was a wind up. When I got home and saw the news I couldn't believe it. I had visions of us going right to the top, I took in all the hype and believed it all sadly.

I attended some Trust meetings when they were in control of the club and I was unimpressed with the Chairman I thought he was a horrible person. I think the Trust was set up with good intentions but the wrong people were put in charge.

When the stories started coming out that Notts couldn't pay their bills I started to get a bit worried but still had faith that all would be well but when Sven left I knew the game was up.

After all the hype and publicity that had surround Notts the new owners seemed to be a bit bland I was worried that they hadn't any money to pay the debts and our club would end up being wound up.

-Today woukd you say people are satisfied with the ownership of the club?

I think the present owners have made great strides, particularly off the field, they have made mistakes but I believe the club is in good hands and I trust the Trews with our club. I believe most fair minded fans feel the same.

Not sure if you still need answers but here's my two pennies worth

My reaction when the Munto takeover was announced:

It was a bit of a shock really. It all seemed too good to be true and ofcourse in hindsight it was, but I wasn't going to argue about it with the promises of premiership football etc. There were a few things which mae me slightly skeptical - especially the reluctance of the owners to reveal themselves, but I was more than willing to enjoy the ride!

How were the previous owners viewed:

I think the trust did a very good job in keeping the club afloat under incredibly difficult circumstances following the dark days of administration and near bankrupcy. However some fans were growing tired of the trust, as the club didn't really appear to be going anywhere. We were just surviving in the football league with a team of free transfers and loanees every season, and that did grow tiring. But really we didn't have much option.

How long before I got skeptical:

Honestly, I was a bit skeptical from the early days but that grew and grew. As I mentioned earlier, the reluctance of the owners to reveal themselves started it off, and there were constant rumours flying around in the national newspapers of players not being paid and of Sven Goran Erikson being set to go somewhere else. I think a lot of questions really arose when Sol Campbell walked out after just one game claiming that promises hadn't been kept.

He got a bit of abuse for that at the time, but in hindsight, he did the right thing.

When Notts were sold again, what was the reaction:

Well Peter Tremblinf initally brought the club off of Munto for £1 when they realised the game was up. It was more a case of here we go again, however Trembling remained confident of securing big investment and allowing the club to "live the dream". But ofcourse that didn't materialise, and in the end it was Mr Trew who brought the club. Administration seemed to have it's feet firmly on the table and we were preparing to kiss the promotion dream goodbye, so there were mixed feelings really. We were, and I will be forwever grateful to Ray for saving our football club, and more so for his decision not to put us into admin so we could go up.

Are people satisfied with the current owners:

I would say about 75% of fans are pretty happy, but some seem to expect miracles and are growing restless, although the ridiculous number of managers we've gone through under this owner can't help. That said I think Ray and Aileen deserve a lot more creidt than they get for the incredible hard work they put into the club. Ray has poured so much of his own money into keeping the club afloat and he is well within his rights to say enoughs enough, I'm not putting anymore money in. In the Trews we trust. Onwards and upwards!

Archived