The return of fans

DangerousSausage

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Discussions are taking place about having fans back in football grounds. Obviously nothing is certain yet, safety comes first and it all depends on how the pandemic goes. However, a limited capacity seems realistic.

However, for clubs from step 3 downwards (so every level below the NL North and South), the number of fans allowed in won't be based on their ground capacity, but on the minimum ground capacity for their division:

image.png

(https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1296082796386156544)

So in other words, all teams in the Northern Premier League will be able to let in 300 fans from tomorrow and 600 from the end of August, regardless of how big their ground is.

The idea of the same thing happening in the NL is absurd, as our ground is much bigger than those of many other teams; a crowd of 2000 at Meadow Lane would be much less problematic than it would be at Wealdstone.

And yet...

image.png

(https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1296447903217713153)

So it sounds a lot like we'll be restricted to the same capacity as every other NL club (600), despite having a much bigger, all-seater ground. I doubt I'll see the inside of a football ground for a good few months, but that's not really the point. It seems to fly in the face of all logic.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

The only thing I’d say there is...

”fly in the face of logic.”

After the ridiculous messing around from the league deciding whether to start the season again, do they have playoffs etc...changing the goalposts every other day... It all proved that the title tin pot league is very apt. Especially for teams in the leagues below us. Amateurs running it doesn’t even start to cover it.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm scratching my head, as to why stadium sizes isn't a factor but the level of the league system is. 🤷‍♂️

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,801
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

For me, the real risk are the "pinch points": queuing for the toilets, and clustering of fans when leaving the ground simultaneously. I am sure Notts could space 6000 home fans in its 18k-20k stadium..

The stadium crowd disbursement could be managed in sections though although Notts fans are generally well disciplined, there will be a few who would ignore the staying behind at the final whistle to get out quickly.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Meanwhile, Notts are canvassing fans regarding this potential return https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/covid19-supporter-questionnaire-260820/

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Personally I think they should allow fans back at Non-League grounds. 

My local club is Coalville Town and grounds like that can easily keep social distancing measures because it's mainly standing with a few seats here and there. 

Not only will it be a great piloting scheme to see how it goes but it will also benefit those clubs who are low down and in need of income.

Archived