Notts County Squad 2020/21 - Season Ratings

Keepers

Slocombe
- 7.5 - Very dependable and rarely lets you down. Fairly comfortable with the ball at his feet and a good shot stopper. Also commands his area to some degree. You won't find a much better keeper at this level.
Pilling - 5 - Takes too many risks with his feet, but looked to be a good shot stopper. Can't command his area and in the NL where we struggled with height all season, a small keeper won't help. When Slocombe was injured we instantly signed a new keeper, which tells you enough. 
Steele - 4 - Thought he was quite poor in the games he played. Slow to get down to shots and slow reaction saves.
Brooks - N/A - On-loan / didn't play for us. 

Defenders

DKE - 6.5 - Tenacious, hard-working and passionate. Every NL club needs players like DKE. A bit one dimensional going forward (can't really beat a man) and his lack of height can be exploited at the back. 
Brindley - 6 - Injured for a lot of the campaign. For me he seems to drift through games, never doing anything spectacular or terrible, a fairly solid and calm performer.
Golden - N/A 
Richardson - N/A
Rawlinson - 6.5 - Was immense at times this season, but didn't look confident as the right part of a back 3. 
Lacey - 6.5 - Injury cut his season short. Still a great defender at this level.
Ellis - 7 - Goals and assist ratio is better than most strikers in the league. Massive in the hear, suspect on the ground.
Turner - 3.5 - Disaster waiting to happen. Still have visions of him in that playoff final and his performances this season actually reinforced them. 
Graham - N/A - Waste of a signing. Sent back to parent club. 
McCrory - N/A - Injured all season. 
Adam Chicksen - 5.5 - Anonymous for most of the season, perhaps not fancied by Ardley. Played a key role under IB and one of our best players in the last few games.
Barnett - 3 - Showed promise with athletic ability early on. Faded quickly as his lack of technical ability came to the fore. 

Midfielders

Roberts - N/A - Injured all season.
Enzio - 5.5 - Few flashes in the pan and a few games where his confidence looked shot. Just not able to produce consistently enough. 
JOB - 6 - Barely used at the start of the season, came into his own under IB. Was sorely missed in the playoffs. 
Doyle - 6.5 - Still bosses a midfield with a great passing range probably unmatched in this league. Gets caught out when players run past him due to lack of pace. Forgivable at his age though. Docked half a point for his role in the chuckle brothers act under Ardley.
Reeves - 6 - It started so well. It then deteriorated into mind-numbing boring 3 foot passes sideways and backwards. Got a couple of long distance goals. Improved under IB.
Sloth - N/A - Left having never played for us in a competitive game.
Ruben Rodrigues - 7 - Showed lots of promise, but never flourished under Ardley. Given free reign under IB and improved noticeably. Seems to glide past players and plays some sublime passes. Also completes a lot of running and closing down, which is not something you'd assume from a player like RR. 
Regan Griffiths - 5 - Not much game-time and while he didn't impress greatly, he performed OK, hence the middle of the road rating.
Miller - 6 - I've included him in the midfielders for a very good reason. A defender he is not. Bad start at LB but when moved to the wing back role really excelled with pace and direct running. Areas of the game he needs to improve on, such as first touch. 
Wolfe - N/A - Another odd loan signing. Barely played. 

Forwards

Thomas 
- N/A - Didn't play then left under a cloud of rumours. 
Wootton - 7 - Must've played almost every minute of a long, gruelling season. Hold up play as solid as ever, and added a good goal tally despite a (very) difficult period.
Sam - 3.5 - Disappointing. A few signs of promise that were soon replaced with bewilderment. Looks like there's a good player in there, just can't see anybody being so patient to get it out. Doesn't look to have a very good understanding of the game (teammates/managers always instructing him on the field). 
Knowles - 4 - Not up to the standard of the league but contributed a few goals anyway. Clearly has an eye for goal, but lacks so many other parts of the game. 
Knight - N/A - Never really got to see enough of him before he dropped out the squad. Looked quick. 

I can't rate the players for a period I didn't watch or listen to the games, it seems a bit unfair if I did. I do think the majority of the squad should be retained and strength just added to it, next season more game time needs to be given to Lewis Knight as it's the only way he will get better/establish himself at this level.

i have rated the players that i disagree with the ops decision.

DKE: 7 - constantly played well throughout the campaign where ever he played
Brindly: 6.5 - came back and got involved, one of those players notts missed
Rawlinson: 7 - he has been great all season bar the odd few game towards the end
Reeves: 7 - one of the players who does work that goes unnoticed
Rodrigues: 8 - outstanding in key stages, scores fun when confident
Wotton: 7.5 - would have been higher if not for the dry patch caused by a lack of creativity, he did very well though

Archived